• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design How to let the players continue playing your game?

N

Nexusrex

Hello guys..I've been working on a small platformer jump-n-shoot game..The levels are some simple levels, 2 + boss battle per zone..I've been thinking, how to make the game longer? Like, i've just been just thinking about making an extras mode which is unlocked after playing the whole game (Which does include 5 mini-games and an extra boss fight and when is finished, the game downloads a little "special thanks" photo file).
Would you guys help me at this? (Aka, your recommendations, places for inspirations. etc)
Thanks in advance.

Turgon

Add an infinite/never-ending survival mode that the player can unlock. Have it be wave based with more and more/stronger enemies each wave. Then add some sort of levelling or equipment upgrading mechanic to keep things interesting, maybe some additional terrain or enemy types every few waves.. Bam! Great way to show off all of your game's content in a replayable fun way.

RangerX

It doesnt suit a platformer shooter well though. ^^

How long is the walkthrough of your game right now? Are you playing it and feeling its not remarding enough? Lenght doesn't matter much you know. Its all about fun we have playing the game and how rewarding it feels to succeed.

N

Nexusrex

Add an infinite/never-ending survival mode that the player can unlock. Have it be wave based with more and more/stronger enemies each wave. Then add some sort of levelling or equipment upgrading mechanic to keep things interesting, maybe some additional terrain or enemy types every few waves.. Bam! Great way to show off all of your game's content in a replayable fun way.
Actually, that's a nice idea..But that doesn't suit a megaman-like game that much (as RangerX said)

It doesnt suit a platformer shooter well though. ^^

How long is the walkthrough of your game right now? Are you playing it and feeling its not remarding enough? Lenght doesn't matter much you know. Its all about fun we have playing the game and how rewarding it feels to succeed.
Well, if it's played without losing, it would take 20 mins to finish. I feel it's rewarding, got a friend (who did play it on youtube). He did have fun with it. Actually, your rewards are more levels. xD

K3fka

Add a score system if there's not one already. Add time trials. Online leaderboards would help too. This will let players replay the game to try to improve their scores/times.

G

Galladhan

As RangerX already pointed out, it's not about lenght, it's about "intensity". Most of Mega Man episodes can be completed in half an hour or less (on speedrun with very good skills, of course), but they're pretty intense.

Genetix

Add in an Arena mode that plays out a bit like Smash Brothers - the entire level fits on screen (or not much bigger) and requires fighting other enemies to death, while perhaps collecting special item/weapon drops. A mode like that could be played over and over again if done well and would really add a whole new feel for your game!?

Khao

If you're up for it, you could add a second character with an entirely different set of abilities. Give them a main attack that doesn't involve shooting, and people will just want to replay the game that way if they liked it enough simply due to how different the game may end up feeling. Mega Man did this in later games by letting you choose between X and Zero and it works perfectly. You don't have to stop at two either, but don't go overboard.

A couple ideas:
  • Boss fight mode - face all the bosses one after another with one life. Maybe even add an addtional attack to the boss to freshen things up.
  • Evil mode - reverse the above. You control the boss trying to kill the player. As you defeat the player, you get to control the next boss and face a healed player.
I also like the ideas mentioning playing the game as a new character.