• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM How to keep track of memory using the debugger? (To indentify memory leaks)

D

Dani

Hello!

Is there some way of using the debugger to keep track of memory? I would need some way to catch memory leaks when using data sctructures or the 3D audio engine, changing or restarting rooms, etc.

Thanks!

Dani

H

Homunculus

If I remember correctly in the bottom status bar of the debugger you have the amount of memory currently used by the game. I used that a couple of times to check exactly what you are referring to.

It is difficult though to differentiate small changes to memory used due to regular game execution and actual problems with resources like data structures or surfaces. It would be very handy to have some more information directly, like a list of all existing data structures.

D

Dani

Profiling is not exactly what I need, as it seems more intended for tracking performance. In the past I used to make mobile games for iOS with Xcode and there was a profiling tool exactly for keeping track of memory and living objects. It was super easy to identify objects that were still alive on memory even if they shouldn't. So, well, nothing like that in the GMS debugger?

Well, I'll have to find another way.

Thanks for the replies!