Android How to keep aspect ratio after disabling application surface.

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by PHL, Feb 16, 2017.

1. PHL

PHL Member

Dear people. Please help me.

After disabling the application surface on GameMaker Studio (to make my game fast), the game image fills the screen and ignores my aspect ratio.

Is there code I can use to make the game maintain its aspect ratio when application surface is disabled?

I am making the game for Android.
    Thank you.

2. Andrey

Andrey Member

Hello!
    Read the topic in the blog >>>

3. Mehdi

Mehdi Member

@Andrey
    Hi, the blog you are offering to, is somehow irrelevant.
    The problem is : after disabling the Application Surface, everything (not just HUD elements) gets stretched. This blog only talks about Hud elements.
    so the question is: How to draw the whole game correctly, after disabling Application surface?

4. kupo15

kupo15 Member

So you are using your own surface instead of the application surface, right? What are your camera view dimensions and what is your manual surface dimensions? Also do you have anything checked in the Game Options such as set to fullscreen?

5. Mehdi

Mehdi Member

Hi thanks for your attention.

1: My game is aimed for Android devices being created in GMS2.
    2: I have disabled the Application Surface . Because i have experiencing severe fps fall on mid-low devices.
    3: I have ticked Full Scale in global game setting
    3: I want to create my own surface which is supposed to do the Application Surface job. and then draw it in Draw GUI.
    4: I have read through nearly all the articles and forum posts about Scaling, However nothing seems to work and the whole game looks ugly stretched.

So what should I do in terms of surface dimension? Viow port scale?camera view scale? etc

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019