How to jump in a Top-Down ARPG

Pkirkby

I've been following a tutorial on making an ARPG. I'm at the point where my character has basic movements and attacks.

I'd like to try to implement a jump mechanic, that removes me from the instance on the ground plane, and allows me to jump in an artificial z-axis. Has anyone had any luck trying this? I wouldn't know where to start.

Currently working in GML, but I'm pretty new to it.

E

Edwin

You need to create custom Z-positions as variable and draw your character adding z to your y-position. Then make your own gravity with Z-position :)

This person will explain everything about it to you in this video.

Pkirkby

You need to create custom Z-positions as variable and draw your character adding z to your y-position. Then make your own gravity with Z-position :)

Thanks, I'm going to check it out now!

Thanks! I did watch this one but I couldn't seem to get it to work. I'm going to try again though.

Pkirkby

Thanks, I'm going to check it out now!

Thanks! I did watch this one but I couldn't seem to get it to work. I'm going to try again though.
I got it after a second attempt! Thanks. However now I'm having conflicts with my existing code, and the instance of my player on the ground still exists, while a new instance of him is jumping.

E

Edwin

I got it after a second attempt! Thanks. However now I'm having conflicts with my existing code, and the instance of my player on the ground still exists, while a new instance of him is jumping.
If you post your code, we'll help.