GMS 2 How to handle turn based combat?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by trentallain, Jun 12, 2019.

1. trentallain

trentallain Member

What is the best way to handle turn based combat for a grid game (like fire emblem)?

I realized that my current setup isn't very good because I was doing this for testing it:
    Code:
    ---------------------------------------------
    // With the enemy clicked on
    with (instance_position(mouse_x, mouse_y, obj_character)) {
        // Exchange damage
        hp -= _id.attack;
        _id.hp -= attack;
    }

And this doesn't allow for attack animations etc.

Should I be using a state system for this or some sort of ds_queue or stack?

My general game can be broken up into:
    initialization -> unit placement (for testing) -> players/AI take turns

And for the units:
    (optional) Get player/AI input for where to move to -> (optional) attack another unit -> stop

But then attacking can be broken up into:
    get unit to deal damage to -> create effect/camera shake/flash white -> show damage numbers and negate it from the unit -> unit you were attacking create effect/camera shake/flash white -> show damage numbers and negate it from the you -> if either health is <= 0 destroy/create even more effects/camera shake -> stop

And when its this and allowing for animations to complete etc, it gets messy.

So, what should I do to make this as simple and expandable as possible for when I add multiplayer and AI (and for just in general)?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. zATARA_0

zATARA_0 Member

A state system would be perfect for this. Just have a move,attack,hit,die, then if you want differrent attacks for the different units you can alter their attack state or use switch object_type for smaller differences. This sort of thing is an ideal candidate for a state machiene.