1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

How to get layer ID from the "begin script" [Solved]

Discussion in 'Programming' started by GoK, Nov 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GoK

GoK Member

Guys, sorry for my English, but I need your help.
    There are several layers in the room (their number and order can change at run-time). All layers should be drawn with the same shader, but with a different uniform parameter. Parameters are stored in the map (layer ID -> parameter).
    It is logical to use "layer_script_begin" to configure the shader before drawing the layer, but I can’t figure out how to get the ID of the current layer from a script to get the parameter from the map. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Azenris

Azenris Member

There is no built-in way to do it.

Only way I can think of is to build your own list of layer ids, and use a global var to track which you are drawing and then increment it and reset it each step.
    Problem with that is you need to know if a layer will draw, so you will need wrappers for setting the layer visibility to add/remove it from your list etc...

This is how I did it anyway, if there is a better way, I would like to know too.

GoK likes this.
  3. GoK

GoK Member

Thanks for your reply!
    I guess building a list of ids is the best solution, but at least for now, I decided to hardcode a whole thing. It`s not pretty, it's giving me less freedom, but it works.

4. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

I read somewhere you could just use the built-in variable "layer" to get the layer id within the begin and end scripts.

I just tested it on my computer and it seems to work fine.

Azenris and GoK like this.
  5. GoK

GoK Member

IT IS WORKING!
    Thank you a lot, IndianaBones, you solved my problem!

IndianaBones likes this.
  6. Azenris

Azenris Member

That works ??? Was that a change ? How did I miss that?

Oh well, guess I'll try it out too. ty

IndianaBones likes this.
  7. Hyomoto

Hyomoto Member

It was a change, it seems, I use the method described before and manage a layer stack.