• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to generate a world?

I have a what is a 2d, top down, adventure/exploration game in a 32x32 block style. My question is where to begin with creating a world?

Currently with a small map I create a 32x32 instance at every point in the map, and then check its distance to other randomly placed objects such as obj_spawnMountain, obj_spawnLava, etc, before changing them into respective land types.

This has been my quick fix so I can work on other areas of the game first, but now I'd like to have this sorted.

Compiling my question into a one liner:

How can I seed a randomly generated, 32x32 grid map that is explorable in a similar style to minecraft, but 2d?

Thank you very much in advance

Binsk

Procedural generation is not a simple task. Not only that but it is extremely specific to the game so there won't be plug and play solutions.

You'll need to invent / research procedural algorithms yourself. Find ones that seem to meet your needs and implement it to fit your game.