• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

How to find current GML License

A

Arron B

Hey all, I'm fresh to Game maker, haven't touched it at all yet and I was looking to get some information on how the different versions of GML work. I currently have the 30 day free trial of it as well as the permanent desktop version. How does Game maker determine which version it's using when I have multiple versions under my account? And also how would I check which version I'm currently using in Game maker itself?

Sorry for sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about... cus I don't. I'm just kinda paranoid about these kinds of things. I've been poking around and can't seem to find any way to check that I'm on the "Desktop" version of GML. If anyone has any information on where I could find this info I would be greatly appreciated. On the desktop app itself and not on GML's website under my profile.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Since this is a licensing question, I'll move it to the Tech Support forum. :)

You log into the IDE using your YoYo account, so any licenses linked to this account will be the ones used by your IDE. I'm unaware of any location in the IDE where this is directly listed; you can at most deduce it based on which export targets are available to you.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Previous versions of GM had this under "Help --> About" (the standardized thing that most apps have, that displays a current app version splash screen), I don't know if that's still the case since I haven't needed to check it for a couple of years 🦈

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The "try to figure out what licenses you have by the export options" workaround seems to be your best bet, then...

Official documentation has this to say;
1591185011054.png

I.e., if you go to Build --> Create executable and then can successfully create an installer or zip, you're on the Desktop license and not the Trial license.

A

Arron B

Thank you guys for the info, I now am of sound mind with my license.

I'm completely new to game development aside from taking some college programming classes (which weren't game development).

So it's nice to know there were people who came to answer my question so quickly. Especially considering how trivial the question actually was.