• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

how to export to android

E

eyal

Hi,

So I know how to export to ios
but how do I export to android ? what do I need to put in the fields that will allow me to import a project to
android studio.

P

Psyfive

I think I'm having the same problem as eyal. I tried to follow that guide. The link it gives you to download the sdk takes you to the installer for Android studio. If you scroll down to the command line only SDK tools, there is nothing to install like the guide tells you. I tried running android.bat but I get the following message:
The "android" command is deprecated.
For manual SDK, AVD, and project management, please use Android Studio.
For command-line tools, use tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat
and tools\bin\avdmanager.bat

I then tried sdkmanager and avdmanager which both gave me a bunch of command line help for the programs that didn't really seem to help me.

Is there an updated version of that guide to help set up android?

H

HW.

In case you want to export the game as an Android .APK "without Android Studio running".

Here is what you need:
1. GMS Android export module
2. Android "SDK Manager" (to download SDK tools, API etc), the files must be available on your computer so that when the GMS compiles, it can use them.
3. Android SDK Location is set up on GMS (after downloaded it on number 2.)
4. Android NDK Location is set up on GMS
5. Java SE Development Kit (JDK) installed and is set up on GMS
6. Set Private Keystore File

And if you are having trouble with "Device Setup For Android/Enable USB Debugging/Port" and all of those settings, just export it as .APK and manually transfer the .APK and test it on your Android device. I just do number 1-6, and can test my game without Android Studio.

The guide is clear there, my method is from that page, but to make it simpler i do not want to use a connected device. I skip the Device Setup For Android/connecting/port. I just build an .apk, and manually install it on device :)

Kyon

2. Android "SDK Manager" (to download SDK tools, API etc), the files must be available on your computer so that when the GMS compiles, it can use them.
I got the same problem as Eyal. The guide is outdated, I can't download any 'SDK Manager' anywhere. It's just a zip file with tools, but not sure how to use that.
If anyone can help us, that would be appreciated.

G

I got the same problem as Eyal. The guide is outdated, I can't download any 'SDK Manager' anywhere. It's just a zip file with tools, but not sure how to use that.
If anyone can help us, that would be appreciated.
You are correct that the guide is outdated. Here is at least a first step to your solution:

Justice said:
Use Android Studio and the SDK manager from there.

Kyon

You are correct that the guide is outdated. Here is at least a first step to your solution:
Alright, only problem is that:
Build-tools, Android Support Repositories and Android Support Libraries
Aren't in that sdk manager.

EDIT:
I think I fixed it, it gives some errors but I can play my game on my android now. Had something to do with matching the build-tools in the global game settings with the build tools of my sdk? I think, I did lots of random stuff til it worked.

Last edited:
H

HW.

In case you want to export the game as an Android .APK "without Android Studio running".
I said it will work "without Android Studio running".

"SDK manager" can be obtained in many ways.

A. Download Android Studio bundle with Android SDK manager included, as Justice said:
Use Android Studio and the SDK manager from there.
Yes this is the easiest part, as all is included in one bundle.
You can download the Android Studio "with SDK manager" with 1,9 GB (2,020,009,280 bytes) file size.

However after install this bundle, Later you can launch the standalone "SDK manager" from there "without Android Studio running":

sdkmanager shortcut.jpg

sdkmanager run as admin.jpg

Install only what is needed:

sdkmanager standalone.jpg

Android studio 800mb not used.jpg

In fact Gamemaker Studio 1.4 and GMS2 does not use those 800MB files.

tiny sdkmanager.jpg

But GMS1.4/GMS2 needs the SDK manager with only "217 KB file size" and of course with more hundreds of MBs of SDK Tools,Build Tools,APIs, etc.

B. You can also Get just the command line tools which is 132 MB if you do not need Android Studio at all, you can download the basic Android command line tools.

This is more complicated.

You can use the included sdkmanager to download other SDK packages. The sdkmanager is a command line tool that allows you to view, install, update, and uninstall packages for the Android SDK. If you're using Android Studio, then you do not need to use this tool and you can instead manage your SDK packages from the IDE.

The sdkmanager tool is provided in the Android SDK Tools package (25.2.3 and higher) and is located in android_sdk/tools/bin/.

As of today GMS 1.4 / GMS 2 can export to android "without Android Studio running".

EDIT:
I think I fixed it, it gives some errors but I can play my game on my android now. Had something to do with matching the build-tools in the global game settings with the build tools of my sdk? I think, I did lots of random stuff til it worked.

Glad to hear that.

For anyone still having trouble with the Android module to work, i recommend you to this page for more useful guide:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-gms-version-1-4-1763-as-of-may-1-2017.16061/

That page recommend you to use:

Target SDK : 25
Min SDK : 17
Compile SDK : 25

Build Tools : 25.0.2
Support Lib : 25.1.0

But the following also works too. Both my GMS1.4/GMS2 projects use this:

Target SDK : 25
Min SDK : 16
Compile SDK : 25

Build Tools : 25.0.2
Support Lib : 25.3.1