• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker How to download files

O

orSQUADstra

So far I've been using exactly this for GMS 1.4:
For some reason, it doesn't want to work with GMS 2. Not entirely sure why.
The actual problem with that, is that it goes to negative percent all the time, then returns that the download is completed, but the file is not where it is supposed to be. So, how could I download files in GMS 2? (I know there are bloody easy, free marketplace things, but I hate working with DLLs, also the nicest one I could find is only Windows compatible.

Any help is appreciated!

Tsa05

Would you be able to share the exact code that you use, by chance? I noticed in that video that the presenter makes some errors and then goes through and corrects them; it would be great to troubleshoot your code rather than the video!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You'd know this video is a waste of your time if I tell you even the thumbnail contains an obvious error. A completed download gives 0 in async_load[? "status"], not 1. Why don't you just read the Manual entry for http_get_file() and follow its example?

Stuff like this is the reason why I generally oppose educational videos in the current GM ecosystem. Virtually no video tutorial authors out there for GM have enough professional integrity to cut out and redo bad takes. They just ramble on, backtrack last-minute and build mistakes on top of mistakes.

Last edited:
H

Halph-Price

You'd know this video is a waste of your time if I tell you even the thumbnail contains an obvious error. A completed download gives 0 in async_load[? "status"], not 1. Why don't you just read the Manual entry for http_get_file() and follow its example?

Stuff like this is the reason why I generally oppose educational videos in the current GM ecosystem. Virtually no video tutorial authors out there for GM have enough professional integrity to cut out and redo bad takes. They just ramble on, backtrack last-minute and build mistakes on top of mistakes.
oh ya, I have to watch the entire video first, and if they know what they're doing is the only time i'll even follow along, it's frustrating.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
oh ya, I have to watch the entire video first, and if they know what they're doing is the only time i'll even follow along, it's frustrating.
Let me tell you one thing: This guy has no clue and is wasting your time with his unrehearsed exploration.

I learned how to use http_get_file() from the Manual entry over half a decade ago, before there were any videos about it. Took me about a minute. Any functionally literate person can do the same in at most 5 minutes, less than half the time it takes to watch that nonsense in full.