• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker How to do "Streets of Rogue" style combat?

monkeyz

I recently began coding a very simple top down rogue like, just to get the feel of coding for top down games. For the combat system, I had an idea to do it kind of like how Streets of Rogue does. As I have only done platformer games in the past, I've been having a lot of trouble with this aspect. My idea is that the player will swing their weapon in the direction they click relative to the player. I have a separate sprite for each weapon that just sort of follows the player around(I understand I may have to change this to make the combat), so what I did was use an if statement in the step event for my weapon that checks if the mouse has been clicked, and then uses image_angle to play the animation facing the direction the player clicked. I have gotten that to work, but the weapon needs to actually change positions so that you can swing in all directions. I can't figure out how to do that. If my explanation didn't make sense, look at Streets of Rogue's combat. That's what I'm aiming for.

Any help would be appreciated, and let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks!

-monkeyz