1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GML How to cut specific string from a text?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Edwin, May 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hello, people. Can you please tell me the way how to cut off a specific string from a text? For example to cut "World" from "Hello, World!".

2. Ido-f

Ido-f Member

Code:
    new_string = string_copy(string, character to start copying from (first character's index is 1), numbers of characters to copy).
    You can use string_pos to find out the index of a character or a sub-string.

Edwin likes this.
  3. Luke Norton

Luke Norton Member

Use the function string_delete().
    You need the name of the string, the position/index of the first character to remove (in this case, it would be 8) and the number of characters to remove, so 5.

Edwin likes this.
  4. stainedofmind

stainedofmind Member

One liner:

Code:
    new_string = string_replace_all(old_string, "World", "');

Ido-f likes this.
  5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks, totally forgot about this function, If you know, could you tell me how I can check what goes after tags in string so I can use and replace them? For example:
    Code:
    "[spoiler=This is spoiler] SPOILER [/spoiler]"

I can use string_replace to replace , but anyway I need to get the string that goes after equal sign.

6. Drepple

Drepple Member

Use string_pos(substr, str) to find the location of a substring in a string, so string_pos("=", str) would give you the position of the equal sign. I assume you don't want to replace the equal sign itself so use that position+1 for replacing, adding, deleting etc. I recommend you look at all the string functions here. Consulting the YoYo Games manual is probably the fastest way to figure out what your looking for / how a function works. Anyways, good luck with your project!

Edwin likes this.