GMS 2 How to create solid impassable objects(walls)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by msrifkin, Feb 20, 2017.

1. msrifkin

msrifkin Guest

Just finished the tutorial for GM2, and while it was very helpful it left out one very important thing.

In drag n drop, how do you create an impassable object such as a wall?

Is it in the tile settings? Do i need to create a new sprite/object etc?

Thanks for the help!

2. Majindoom

Majindoom Guest

I started only a few months ago with GMS2 I have never used dnd but you do need collision objects. I make my levels with the tilesets and i have a few non visible collision objects I use for solid impassable and things like water and quicksand objects just slow the character. This is the best practice since haveing your level objects do the collision for you creates more overhead than is needed. With non visible collision objects you will use much less. Hope that helps some. But like i said i can't help with dnd.

3. Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson Member

Not d&d, but really worth learning:

it teaches you how to use a tilemap for collisions. Much better (lighter / faster) than using collision objects.

Mallard8 and GameDesignerJoe like this.
  4. Geoff Jones

Geoff Jones Member

Just on a side note, I'd really suggest learning the GML coding instead of drag n drop. There seems to be a lot more help out there for GML.

5. codemouse

codemouse Member

To jump into this thread for a minute - while I totally understand how tilemap collision would be faster perf wise than objects, do you think it's still better to go hybrid or does that lose the advantages?

Ex: Say I'm building a...Zelda game? Something where gravity is not needed but one would expect a variety of fixed collision as well as objects. There is an awful lot of tile collisions (walls, anything unmoveable) but also object collisions (enemies, moveable blocks, etc)

I imagine using a hybrid (testing for both) would reduce the number of total instances in a room by a lot, but just wondering if testing using get_at_pixel is just substantially better than rolling object testing (place_meeting)?

6. Majindoom

Majindoom Guest

I like my hybrid way tbh.

7. Pontus

Pontus Member

Hi! im really new to gm but im trying to figure out how to make a solid wall (in dnd), so i went in here to find out so my question is..... which tile thingy is it?

8. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Are your enemies tiles? No. So there's no argument here. Could you make your enemies tiles? Sure, in which case tiles-only would be easily doable, although your enemies would have very few attributes in that case. As for movable blocks, those were handled as tiles until Link pushed on them, then the tilemap was modified and a sliding block object was created, allowed to move into place, and then the block object was destroyed and the tilemap was again modified.

Nowhere in any tile collision tutorial has it ever been stated or suggested that objects should not be used at all. Objects are practically a necessity in Game Maker. The point is you should not be flooding your rooms with thousands of instances of objects whose sole roles are to provide collision detection.

A tile has considerably less overhead than an object.
    (estimated list based on GMS1, possibly smaller in GMS2)
    Code:
    background
    layer
    left
    width
    height
    alpha
    angle
    xscale
    yscale

Even invisible objects take up a lot of overhead:
    (variables from GMS1)
    Code:
    alarm[0]
    alarm[1]
    alarm[2]
    alarm[3]
    alarm[4]
    alarm[5]
    alarm[6]
    alarm[7]
    alarm[8]
    alarm[9]
    alarm[10]
    alarm[11]
    bbox_bottom
    bbox_left
    bbox_right
    bbox_top
    depth
    direction
    friction
    gravity
    gravity_direction
    hspeed
    id
    image_alpha
    image_angle
    image_blend
    image_index
    image_number
    image_single
    image_speed
    image_xscale
    image_yscale
    mask_index
    object_index
    path_endaction
    path_index
    path_orientation
    path_position
    path_positionprevious
    path_scale
    path_speed
    persistent
    phy_active
    phy_angular_damping
    phy_angular_velocity
    phy_bullet
    phy_col_normal_x
    phy_col_normal_y
    phy_collision_points
    phy_collision_x
    phy_collision_y
    phy_com_x
    phy_com_y
    phy_dynamic
    phy_fixed_rotation
    phy_inertia
    phy_kinematic
    phy_linear_damping
    phy_linear_velocity_x
    phy_linear_velocity_y
    phy_mass
    phy_position_x
    phy_position_xprevious
    phy_position_y
    phy_position_yprevious
    phy_rotation
    phy_sleeping
    phy_speed
    phy_speed_x
    phy_speed_y
    solid
    speed
    sprite_height
    sprite_index
    sprite_width
    sprite_xoffset
    sprite_yoffset
    timeline_index
    timeline_loop
    timeline_position
    timeline_running
    timeline_speed
    visible
    vspeed
    x
    xprevious
    xstart
    y
    yprevious
    ystart
    It doesn't matter if you don't enable physics. It doesn't matter if you don't assign a sprite. It doesn't matter if you don't use timelines. It doesn't matter if you don't use alarms. As soon as you put an instance in the room, memory is allocated for ALL of those variables and most of those variables take up 8 bytes each. Now multiply that by 1000.

Bentley likes this.
  9. ph101

ph101 Member

Good points. Can I ask you a couple of questions?
    1. The vid is gm2 - what is the most common way for collision with tiles in gm1.4. Is it generally just mathematical ie you can't go in a grid psace that is occupied?
    2. I have a bunch of nps using mp_potential step to move around objects along different paths. But there are many tiles and walls - which need to be objects to prevent collision. Is there any way to reduce object overhead? Maybe I could only spawn the solid walls when they are nearby npc's?

10. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Loop through each tile cell, check its attribute, then block it with mp_grid_add_cell(). You need only one grid, so it can be done at the start of the room or when terrain changes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Bentley and ph101 like this.
  11. ph101

ph101 Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes its probably the best way - sadly for me I'm using a kind of amalgamation because although npc's pathfind in the way you describe, they need to often collide and bounce off each other and thus i use mp_potential_step to step to towards sequential points on the path, meaning I also need solid instances for walls they may encounter allowing them to bump off each other and walls as they go. Also the grid and number of walls can be potentially huge in my game so its very tricky. I'm considering only spawning the wall instances when an npc is in an adjacent grid, but it seems messy and slow too. Alternatively I guess I would need to code my own mp_porential_step which can check solid collisions and a grid and consider it solid in the same way mp_potential_step steps around solid masks, but thats is almost certainly beyond me. Any ideasm although I'm sure there is no silver bullet! (sorry for taking it off topic if this is off topic!)

12. Mallard8

Mallard8 Member

Just come across this, what a cracking tutorial. Thanks

13. LoadingDevelopment

LoadingDevelopment Member

Way off topic but really?
    This thread has 15k views, that's a bug right? o_O

Edit: Ohh this is since 2017, so it's not a bug at all...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  14. Mallard8

Mallard8 Member

Followed the GM Wolf tutorial but it doesn't work when I run my game the object just falls off the screen.
    Anybody else have this problem?

15. flyinian

flyinian Member

I currently do. Stuck many hours into the code. Trying different things. Checking code. Etc....