• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML How to create moving interlocked gears

D

DM1991

I know a "simple" question like this could potentially open up a lot of additional questions and require several concepts to answer, and I think I am willing to learn all of it if needed. So here goes;

Is there a way to make two gears that have interlocking teeth, and then move one gear by rotating the other? Can the physics be programmed to consider the moment of inertia of the gears and the contact area between teeth, assuming they are not identical gears?

I am open to learning this even If this problem needs to be broken down into "chewable" steps in order to program it/teach it.

Binsk

I never use it but i assume the box2d physics included with GM could handle this.

Your could take a look at the manual in regards to the physics system.

D

DM1991

I would like to have a bit more guidance. Please treat me as a complete beginner. I do have programming background in other languages though, but not GML and very little in the GameMaker interface.