• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED How to create game icon when exporting to .exe?

M

mastmartelli

I've googled it but didn't find an answer. I want to figure out how to set an icon for my game, for example how if Minecraft was on my desktop it'd show a grass block for its icon.

xS89Deepx

Make a icon 48x48 on paint or whatever software u use to draw. than convert to ICO format 48x48, and go to Global Game Setting and click update ;)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
And if your software set is worth its salt, at least one application among them would have been able to export to ICO to start with.

For starters, download and learn to use GIMP for editing individual images, or ImageMagick for batch operations. There's a good reason why I never use any of those dodgy online converter sites.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
And if your software set is worth its salt, at least one application among them would have been able to export to ICO to start with.

For starters, download and learn to use GIMP for editing individual images, or ImageMagick for batch operations. There's a good reason why I never use any of those dodgy online converter sites.
What is the reason? Quality loss?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
What is the reason? Quality loss?
There are many reasons why converter sites like that shouldn't be used, especially for development purposes:
  • Most are still dotted with ads and tracking scripts, and the ones cited on this topic are no different. In fact, it's pretty insidious if you look at the site with F12 on.
  • I've even gotten drive-by viruses off on one of those sites a decade ago, and they really didn't care.
  • By extension, there's no way I'd trust what they'd do with my upload, even if there's no compromising material involved in what I upload.
  • I have to share processing traffic with other laymen online with sites like this, and some have other limits. With offline tools, I have my entire system to myself.
  • These sites tend to be configured to a civilian one-size-fits-all setting with a handful of effects, which you'll eventually outgrow or have to do differently if you're a developer. In contrast, dedicated tools like Photoshop and GIMP have options that will allow you to adapt to development needs.
  • Most if not all of those sites use ImageMagick, GD and FFMPEG to do the conversion and effects, so why wouldn't I just use the underlying tools over the command line if I'm not afraid of that?
Converter sites like those cited in replies here are for laymen and non-programmers who really don't care.