How to create a tilemap from ASCII characters

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Alessandro Blues, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Alessandro Blues

Alessandro Blues Member

Hello,

I need to create a tilemap containing a set of ascii characters (e.g. Consolas, courier new or other fonts). I want to create a tilemap to be used to compose a room via tiles.
    Is there any tool to automatically compose this tilemap?
    Thank you for your help!

2. Danei

Danei Member

I believe there are tools to convert font files into pngs or other image types, and that's all you really need for a tilemap in GMS2. Googling "convert font to image" comes up with a few different possibilities. I haven't personally tested them so I don't know which is best, but as long as you can get your font into an image file, it should be trivial to make it a tilemap. You may even be able to find such image files on the internet already made but I don't know.

Technically, if you're able to load the font into gamemaker, you could probably write a script in gml to output a png of all the characters in that font for you, but that's more work than the other thing I bet.

Alessandro Blues likes this.
  3. Alessandro Blues

Alessandro Blues Member

yes, I agree with you. I wanted to avoid to spend time to create a program to do this, I hope a such tool could exist.