• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to create a proper jumping system?

Z

zenoboy

Me & my friends are involved in creating a game.
He did the code for the jumps & is based on gravity.

Whenever the character falls down after it jumps, it appears to be going down slowly and seems to be floating.

Since I'm in charge of refining & cleaning up codes, I'm thinking its better to remove every code related to the jump & create a new & better jumping system from scratch.

How do you guys usually approach this matter?

C

ConsolCWBY

Whenever the character falls down after it jumps, it appears to be going down slowly and seems to be floating.
I'm currently starting one from scratch - attempting to increase my code base with scripts. Does the code detect when your falling, and if so couldn't the fall be incremented? Or did you mean he used the Box2D physics? (I know NOTHING about B2D! lol!)

J

jason_Evans

I am having the same problem when I scale everything. It could be just playing around with the variables, but I also have not worked on the built in room physics. I just code everything, so it might be that two or more variables are working against each other? I usually check all my instances of vspeed, hspeed, gravity, etc in all player events to verify they are all the same UNLESS otherwise needed to change, and then I use the room creation code to override the physics of the player with code again, different variable amounts. Best I can say for now but hopefully that sparks something! :)