• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to create a drag and drop object?

I

itameio

I feel stupid for not realizing how to do this after all these years of using Game Maker and understanding more complex stuff. . .I need to create an object that can be dragged and dropped in the room by the mouse.

The only way I can do that is by having the object jump to mouse position after it is clicked and held. But that makes it jump based on the sprite center, and not be dragged by the point the cursor click on. Does that make any sense?

I tried measuring the distance between the position of object and position of cursor by decreasing the smallest of them from the largest and then have the position of the object increased/decreased based on that distance. But I found that's too complicated and may not even make sense. I've seen an example file for such a thing with old Game maker 8.0 which had very simple code, but I failed to find it online at this time.

So how can I make the object dragged while the point clicked on by the mouse as the center? to make it stop jumping?

J

JFitch

Mouse Button Pressed
Code:
xx=x-mouse_x;
yy=y-mouse_y;
Mouse Button Held
Code:
x=mouse_x+xx;
y=mouse_y+yy;
When the mouse is pressed, you store the x and y differences from the mouse. Then, when the mouse is held, you set the position based on the stored differences.

I

itameio

See: Dragging and dropping without jumping

You got the idea about the difference between mouse and instance position right, but what you should have done is to not care about which one's bigger. Just add the difference and the sign of the difference would imply which way to offset.
Mouse Button Pressed
Code:
xx=x-mouse_x;
yy=y-mouse_y;
Mouse Button Held
Code:
x=mouse_x+xx;
y=mouse_y+yy;
When the mouse is pressed, you store the x and y differences from the mouse. Then, when the mouse is held, you set the position based on the stored differences.

Thank you!