• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Question - General How to buy from Marketplace? Licenses?

A

ArchAngel

How to buy from Marketplace? Licenses?

- If i buy an asset from the marketplace, i can just use it for 1 game or i can use for any game i make with gamemaker?

- Are all the assets for commercial projects or i have to keep checking their licenses?

rIKmAN

You can use it in any many projects as you wish as long as you stick to the licence, unless the licence specifically states it's a one time use - which would be a bit unusual for an asset.

Always check the licence before you purchase, and contact the seller if you are unsure.

A

ArchAngel

The game maker licence seems unpredictable. So the seller can choose how i have to use the asset...
That sucks.

A

ArchAngel

How can i see the licence of the asset im buying?
How can i know for sure that i wont be restricted by the author?
What if the author change the licence after i bought it?

rIKmAN

I see. thanks for the replies.
For example, this asset doesnt seem to contain an external licence...
Am i correct?

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/558/forest-sprite-tile-pack
The licence is at the very bottom of that page:

End User Licence Agreement (EULA)

If the licence was explicitly for non-commercial games only, it would say so somewhere on that page or have a licence stating that on the page.

There is also a "Contact Publisher" link at the top near the price - use that and ask the author for confirmation if you are really worried.

A

ArchAngel

Alright, however if i have to contact every author from every asset i get.. that will be a headache!

Also, thanks for replying! One more question..
The EULA says :

6. WHAT YOU MUST NOT DO WITH THE ASSETS OR SERVICES
6.1. You must not do any of the following regarding Assets, Services or the Marketplace:
6.1.2. Copy, sell, license, distribute, transfer, modify, adapt, translate, prepare derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive source code from them;

So i cant edit an asset i bought? For example, if i get those forest sprite tiles, i cant change them ? I cant like change the colour and stuff?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
A quick overview, for full info, read the EULA that comes with the asset. Obviously, I'm not a lawyer, but this is my take on it.

If you buy marketplace assets, the general rule is you license them and can use them in as many games as you wish. You can not "re-sell/re-licensee" the assets however or re-upload to the Marketplace. In the default EULA there is no limit to the number of games you can use them in. So you do not own assets, you license them, and that license isn't for one game/product.

This can be changed however if the seller has their own EULA, they may license for "one game", that is up to them - although the marketplace does not allow/deal with this kind or purchase.

A

Aura

So i cant edit an asset i bought? For example, if i get those forest sprite tiles, i cant change them ? I cant like change the colour and stuff?
I don't see why you won't be able to make changes to something unless explicitly stated by the author as long as you're doing it for yourself. What you can't do, however, is to redestribute (even if for free) the graphics in any form.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yes you can edit/modify assets for your game, but you can not then resell these assets as they are based on purchased assets. This is the same for any code or engine. if you think its a nice addition, you can email the original author and suggest or give them the changes so others can benefit, but that's about it.