How to boost the retention of a mobile game

This from the hyper casual perspective of mobile game design.

When it comes down to a mobile game, what aspects of the game, especially in the first few minutes of gameplay, influence the players choice to keep it?

within that context solid mechanics, a sense of progression or achievement, and immediately intuitive design are critical, based on what limited understanding i have up until this time. but beyond that i dont understand the subtle differences and i feel like im missing something obvious.

what is it that makes a game sticky? in the most basic, beginners understanding of the concept, what can a developer do to boost the retention of a game if you have it up, working, and functional and need to improve it so people will not uninstall it after 30 minutes?

Thank you.

T

the519

I have created a couple mobile games and I find that the rention rates do increase if you give them new content and new features to unlock. Maybe create goals or weekly updated content. It does not have to be JUST goals but targets and stages work as-well. Just something fresh to keep them entertained.

@the519

sorry, i lead you off on the wrong track, let me clarify.

their is a term, 30:30:30, basicly when a player opens a game you have 30 seconds to get the players attention, the vast majority of uninstalls occur in this time, after that if you are able to get the player to put in 30 minutes of game play, the chances of them keeping the game for 30 days goes up very quickly.

adding content and unlocks are great for players who are already commited, but im just talking about the first 30 seconds, how to keep them playing, and interested, during those first few seconds.

thank you

Mool

When I download a app, then I decide in the 1st 30 sec: "Do I like the idea of the game? Is it like i thought after watching the screenshots"

I currently try to improve my retention for Day 1 too. Last month I had 50% now after adding 33% more stuff to the game my retention is 52% for Day 1 ._.

At least I could improve my recent rating from 3.8 to 4.6 (removed ads and added content)

M

mark rob

It all depends on the player as the retention of the mobile game is how the player is applying it. In many cases, while developing the game, the developers uses plugins to make that happen. The developers can also try the plugins UAE in the game development.

Genetix

One thing that always turns me off is seeing an Ad within the first 2 minutes of opening up the app. Avoid that, let a player get 5-10 minutes in before considering showing them any kind of ad if using them. Along the same lines, I've downloaded apps that prompt me to purchase IAP starter kits for the game before I even have a chance to try the game out at all and see if I like it, that's a major turn off. Avoid doing that.

The games that end up hooking me balance getting me into game play quickly with short but easily understood tutorials and don't throw way to many concepts at the player right off of the bat. Solid mechanics and fun game play are critical, after that the game can open up and introduce other features and reasons to keep playing.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a sucker for Daily Goals & rewards - they keep me coming back to an app over and over again!

I've tried to follow my own advice in my new game Cards of War (CCG) if you want to check it out and give any feedback! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genetix.CardsofWar