• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows How to add a little video Youtube in a room ?

E

Erik131313

Hi,
I do an application that allows to draw and test logical flowchart for my students.
So, I have only 2 rooms. The first explains how to do and the second is to draw and test flowchart.

The first contains textes and pictures. I want to add a video Youtube to explain better how to manipulate the flowchart.

A little video is always better than a long text !

I do not know how to add this video in a room GMS2.

Ideas ?

Well I see two main options here, as GMS doesn't support video playback out of the box.
1- Search the marketplace, there are extensions there that have proven themselves to be reliable for this.
2- If it makes sense in your context, you could always just create some simple buttons which would be an external link to Youtube. (like a "Visit my Website" thing). The game will lose focus, tho, just like if you pressed alt-tab, so you won't be able to be "in the game" and "on youtube" in the same window. But this is going to be, I think, your best free option.

Hope that clears things a little bit!

E

Erik131313

Well I see two main options here, as GMS doesn't support video playback out of the box.
1- Search the marketplace, there are extensions there that have proven themselves to be reliable for this.
2- If it makes sense in your context, you could always just create some simple buttons which would be an external link to Youtube. (like a "Visit my Website" thing). The game will lose focus, tho, just like if you pressed alt-tab, so you won't be able to be "in the game" and "on youtube" in the same window. But this is going to be, I think, your best free option.

Hope that clears things a little bit!
Thanks.
For the point 1, I have searched an extension without success.
For the point 2, how to create an external link to Youtube with a button ? I clic on a button and arrive on the video ?

2. Yep, it's as simple as using this function (On a mouse click event of a button instance, for example)
GML:
url_open("http://yoyogames.com");   //Obviously, you'll use the appropriate URL
Thinking about it, this may be the optimal solution if you're not actually hosting the video files, I'm not 100% sure if the marketplace assets have to have the video files as included files (which may not be an option to you), or if they stream, or both.

E

Erik131313

It's easy ! I probably use this solution.
The marketplace has solutions with the video file includes to the game but it is not free ! Perhaps, one day, a free solution.
Thank you very much.

No problem! And yes, a free and good solution for workflow would be simply to make your game windowed at a size that allows a YT video to be side-by-side by it.
So your students could see both the instruction in your GMS app AND the browser opened on the TY page you linked on their monitor. That may help them to see both at the same time, depending on the assignment.

It convert small video in a gif. After, enter the gif in a sprite.
For shorter clips, you could use animated gifs for sure, that's also a good idea. It would all be encapsulated in your app, which is a good thing