• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM How should I store data for tiles in an isometric game?

Pandavim

I'm planning on creating an isometric tile based game, which will be randomly generated. But before I started working on the main engine I thought I'd ask here to see if there was a good way to store data for each tile?

Currently I'm thinking of just storing each tile in a 2D array, the only problem is that each other row of tiles will be offset, which will make it more difficult to imagine what a map would look like when looking at the pure data. Thanks!

U

Unportant

I am working with a sort of tile in my game, but I've made them each objects with X and Y variables that the object uses to tell it where to be, rather than a sort of master object telling a Draw event where to draw each tile. But I did this because there's an intensive ecosystem at work and each title needs to have its own code to know a variety of variables rather than just what sprite it is, so that may not be a feasible solution for you.

.... the answer might depend on what you mean by 'offset'. Like, it's a hexagonal grid?