• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

How much data can GM:S handle?

M

Marigio300X

(I'm not sure this is the right forum. If it isn't, let me know which forum is more appropriate.)
I was curious how much data GameMaker:Studio could handle at any given time. Like, how many objects and particles can be in a room? Or how many total graphic files can be in the project? I just want to know the limitations of GM:S so I don't accidentally make something too strenuous on the hardware, or make a game that has too much stuff for the game to load.

Reactions: Mut
T

The Green Dev

It really depends on your computer for the object and particles and stuff, but the graphic files I think you don't have to worry about. Though graphic files that get too big do get compressed so if you're using tile sets you should split it up a bit if it's really big and the tile set looks really bad in game.

D

Dengar

the easiest way is to test it and see when it crashes. crude I kno but itll give you an idea. also the debug mode is useful at giving you a concept of whats going on.

for example. how many instances can I have at a time. /*key press event*/ repeat(100) {instance_create(0,0,object0)} //may have the arguments wrong but you get the idea
just load the game and keep hitting the button till something breaks :)

RangerX

There's no clear answer to this. Its quite "as much as your machine can handle".
With this said, its not the kind of question you should ask yourself much. With any game project at some point you need to optimise and stuff, start by designing your game and pulling of a vertical slice, then you'll see where you're going.
What type of game you wanna make?

M

Marigio300X

I had limits on GMstudio with polygons. For some reason I can't draw primitives with more then a set number of vertices.
Yeah, I noticed a cap of about 20,000 polygons, although that MAY be because I had 128 objects with step events with 170 polys each.
There's no clear answer to this. Its quite "as much as your machine can handle".
With this said, its not the kind of question you should ask yourself much. With any game project at some point you need to optimise and stuff, start by designing your game and pulling of a vertical slice, then you'll see where you're going.
What type of game you wanna make?
I'm not sure any more.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There are no GM:S-side limits regarding particles. Graphic resources (sprites, backgrounds) also have no such limits.

There is one for objects, though, which is 100000 (one hundred thousand)... or if you're pedantic, 100001, because indices start at 0.
Once you have created that many objects, their IDs will start overlapping with instance IDs (which start at 100000). As it is possible that one ID can refer to both instances and objects in particular situations, having more than 100000 objects can lead to unexpected behavior. If your game needs that many objects, though, that limit is not your main problem.

All other limits are bound to external factors, such as your operating system (current-generation-Windows 32 bit applications have a limit of roughly 2GB RAM usage by default, for example) or your hardware and thus are too subjective to pinpoint.