How many PC gamers own a controller?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by GM029, Jan 7, 2020.

1. GM029

GM029 Member

Just an informal poll, I know a lot of us are building games that are meant to be played with a controller above all else.

As a followup question. How many PC gamers ever play local two player games?

2. Rayek

Rayek Member

According to Valve:

Reference:
    Sept. 2018 https://www.tomshardware.com/news/valve-pc-controller-usage-statistics,37853.html

So it seems over 15 million players on Steam may play two player games local.

GM029 likes this.
  3. GM029

GM029 Member

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Was there any statistics on the has-controller-vs-has-no-controller ratio? Because that's what GM029 asked for (and I'm curious about that as well now). 15 million devices might sound much, but it's just a droplet in the ocean of 800 million Windows 10 installations. Granted, a large number of those probably are office PCs that nobody will ever run a game on, but assuming a mere 25% of those PCs has games on them, that's a 7.5% chance they'll ever get paired wtih a controller. Of course, the number might be slightly lower if my 25% estimate was too optimistic, and slightly higher since Steam isn't the only way to get games, but that's at least a ballpark estimate of controller ratio.

Cpaz likes this.