• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

How many machines is the license for?

D

Director_X

Hi. How many machines are we permitted to install the GMS on with a single purchase?

I was told by a dev a long time ago (via email) that we are permitted to use it on 3 machines. Is that still correct?

My kids are now growing up and I'd like to start teaching them GMS and it'd be great if I can install it on 3 machines.

Thanks. :)

rIKmAN

Yes, three machines (that you own) is correct.
I'm not sure if 1.4 has a seperate EULA - I can only find one on the YYG website here: https://www.yoyogames.com/legal/eula

It seems the 3 machine limit was changed in a EULA update at some point as it now states that you can only install it for your personal use on a single device.

Not sure why this changed, or how enforceable it is - but check section 3.6 (i) of the EULA, relevant section below:
3.6. GameMaker Subscriptions. Customers may license various subscriptions for GameMaker, as further detailed at https://www.yoyogames.com/get. Different subscriptions have different functionality and it is up to you to ensure you pick the right subscription for your particular needs. YoYo Games grants to you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable, limited, worldwide licence for the licence duration specified at the time of purchase to: (i) install GameMaker for your personal use on a single device in order to develop and publish Publisher Property (e.g. assets and games);

I'm not sure if 1.4 has a seperate EULA - I can only find one on the YYG website here: https://www.yoyogames.com/legal/eula

It seems the 3 machine limit was changed in a EULA update at some point as it now states that you can only install it for your personal use on a single device.

Not sure why this changed, or how enforceable it is - but check section 3.6 (i) of the EULA, relevant section below:
Interesting. The GMS 2 FAQ : https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230330328-GameMaker-Studio-2-FAQ that was updated a month ago (around the same time as the EULA - which shows a June 4 2019 update ) still have it listed as 3 machines:

How many computers can I install GameMaker Studio 2 on?

You can have GameMaker Studio 2 installed (and be logged in) on 3 concurrent devices.
Does the fact the EULA section you quoted refers to subscriptions means it doesn't apply to permanent licences maybe?

EULA would more than likely trump the FAQ - but then what about those of us who have a permanent Developer license and regularly switch between Windows and Mac for testing on multiple platforms? (Admittedly I haven't used the Mac version of the IDE for a few months, so I haven't tested this personally yet).

rIKmAN

Does the fact the EULA section you quoted refers to subscriptions means it doesn't apply to permanent licences maybe?
I did think that myself, but didn't see any other section specifically dealing with permanent licences(I did only skim it though!) so I assumed that a permanent licence would be equivalent to a lifetime subscription for the purposes of the EULA.

Probably should ask for clarification though, @Nocturne?

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so legally the licence (whether permanent or subscription) is for one user on one machine. However, you CAN be logged into up to 3 machines at once and YYG have no intention of changing this at the moment. Even if they did, this isn't really an issue, as you can go to your YoYo Account and revoke any machines that have been registered and so log into any other machine (from the section Settings > Sessions). I have three machines logged in to use GMS2, my PC, my Mac and my Laptop, and if I decided to use another machine I'd simply revoke one of those and log in on the new machine.

Okay, so legally the licence (whether permanent or subscription) is for one user on one machine. However, you CAN be logged into up to 3 machines at once and YYG have no intention of changing this at the moment. Even if they did, this isn't really an issue, as you can go to your YoYo Account and revoke any machines that have been registered and so log into any other machine (from the section Settings > Sessions). I have three machines logged in to use GMS2, my PC, my Mac and my Laptop, and if I decided to use another machine I'd simply revoke one of those and log in on the new machine.
Thanks Nocturne. I only use one machine at a time, so as long as it allows logging in, even if it revokes the previous license instantly that's ok, because I could just switch back and forth between machines. Was just worried they would limit the install to only one machine ever, per what the EULA seems to say.

D

Director_X

Thanks for the replies, folks. The 3 machine usage allowance will now unleash a second generation of GM users onto the world! :)

Not intending to ruin your fun, but note that GM licenses are per person. Letting other persons use your license would technically be a breach of the EULA.
Yep, that's my understanding, my questions were still based on the assumption this only applies to the person who owns the license.

D

Director_X

I see. I suppose I could use 3 machines with GMS1.4x MC, GMS2.x UWP, and GM6.x/7.x then? I own all licenses.

Since I am "teaching" my own children on my own machines, isn't it technically me still running the show? Isn't there some concession/relaxation for teachers?

Last edited by a moderator: