How many machines is the license for?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Director_X, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Director_X

Director_X Member

Hi. How many machines are we permitted to install the GMS on with a single purchase?

I was told by a dev a long time ago (via email) that we are permitted to use it on 3 machines. Is that still correct?

My kids are now growing up and I'd like to start teaching them GMS and it'd be great if I can install it on 3 machines.

Thanks. :)

2. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Yes, three machines (that you own) is correct.

Director_X likes this.
  3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I'm not sure if 1.4 has a seperate EULA - I can only find one on the YYG website here: https://www.yoyogames.com/legal/eula

It seems the 3 machine limit was changed in a EULA update at some point as it now states that you can only install it for your personal use on a single device.

Not sure why this changed, or how enforceable it is - but check section 3.6 (i) of the EULA, relevant section below:

Director_X likes this.
  4. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

Interesting. The GMS 2 FAQ : https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230330328-GameMaker-Studio-2-FAQ that was updated a month ago (around the same time as the EULA - which shows a June 4 2019 update ) still have it listed as 3 machines:

Does the fact the EULA section you quoted refers to subscriptions means it doesn't apply to permanent licences maybe?

EULA would more than likely trump the FAQ - but then what about those of us who have a permanent Developer license and regularly switch between Windows and Mac for testing on multiple platforms? (Admittedly I haven't used the Mac version of the IDE for a few months, so I haven't tested this personally yet).

Director_X and rIKmAN like this.
  5. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I did think that myself, but didn't see any other section specifically dealing with permanent licences(I did only skim it though!) so I assumed that a permanent licence would be equivalent to a lifetime subscription for the purposes of the EULA.

Probably should ask for clarification though, @Nocturne?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  6. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Okay, so legally the licence (whether permanent or subscription) is for one user on one machine. However, you CAN be logged into up to 3 machines at once and YYG have no intention of changing this at the moment. Even if they did, this isn't really an issue, as you can go to your YoYo Account and revoke any machines that have been registered and so log into any other machine (from the section Settings > Sessions). I have three machines logged in to use GMS2, my PC, my Mac and my Laptop, and if I decided to use another machine I'd simply revoke one of those and log in on the new machine.

rIKmAN, Director_X and IndianaBones like this.
  7. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

Thanks Nocturne. I only use one machine at a time, so as long as it allows logging in, even if it revokes the previous license instantly that's ok, because I could just switch back and forth between machines. Was just worried they would limit the install to only one machine ever, per what the EULA seems to say.

Director_X likes this.
  8. Director_X

Director_X Member

Thanks for the replies, folks. The 3 machine usage allowance will now unleash a second generation of GM users onto the world! :)

9. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

Not intending to ruin your fun, but note that GM licenses are per person. Letting other persons use your license would technically be a breach of the EULA.

IndianaBones and rIKmAN like this.
  10. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

Yep, that's my understanding, my questions were still based on the assumption this only applies to the person who owns the license.

11. Director_X

Director_X Member

I see. I suppose I could use 3 machines with GMS1.4x MC, GMS2.x UWP, and GM6.x/7.x then? I own all licenses.

Since I am "teaching" my own children on my own machines, isn't it technically me still running the show? Isn't there some concession/relaxation for teachers?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  12. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

They're your machines? It's your licence...

I wouldn't sweat the small print.... ;)

Director_X and TsukaYuriko like this.