How many frames in a rotating cube

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Just wondering, if a cube rotates 360 degrees on its' center axis, and you take a snapshot every frame, how many snapshots do you have by the time it makes a full rotation ?

When I say every frame I mean every moment where the appearance of the cube changes because it moved..

The reason I ask is because the babylonies or egyptians or sumerians or some civilization from long ago decided to use 360 as a default angle according to the interwebs, and the interwebs doesn't say why we can't use 500 degrees or 100 degrees( a base 10 system ?)

In my reading I learnt a bit about radians, which in one example is a way to tell an observer how many degrees something in its view has traveled. But I don't think that's going to give me a better idea of this cube..

From what I understand, when an object rotates on a single point, there isn't a circumference, it isn't moving around a circle ? what if space time stretches at 150 degrees and now you've got 5000 extra degrees between 150 and 151 degrees in the rotation.

xD

Last edited:

Padouk

Wow.. I think you are overthinking it ;)

The answer to your question is 12 for a full rotation.

it will look choppy, but it's the bare minimum you need to fool your brain into thinking it's rotating at a constant speed.
--

Maya used base 20. I wouldn't be surprised if that's was caused by the size of full trade of corn or something like that...

Babylonian used base 60. my antropology class are far but wasn't it all caused by perfect triangles?

Perfect triangles per definition have all side of integer size and have equals integer perimeter and area.
With today computer that might not be too usefull to know... back then playing in an integer only was a necessity to keep all math simple.

Fun fact... you need 6 perfect triangles to form a circle.... 360/6 = 60. ... some speculate that's where the minutes come from and where the base 60 comes from.

--
Fun fact... if you split that 60 in two (easiest way to split a triangle is by drawing a line in it's middle) = 30... 360/30 = 12. .. some speculate that's where the months come from.

--
Now... in 2020 you shouldn't care about ease of computation. You want to go with 500 frames? You will have no difficulty rotating your cube by 360/500 = 0.72 degrees per frame and render 500 frames for it.

You want to hit the 60 fps? You will have no difficulty rotating that cube by 360/60 = 6 degrees... and render 60 frames frames.

You just want to fool your player creating an illusion of rotation?
You see only 2 faces of the cube at the same time .. right? so you see only 180 degrees at a time?

If you use only one frame per face, your brain won't be able to process if the cube is rotating clockwise or counter clockwise
Remember when you look at a car wheel running to fast, you feel like it's rotating in the right direction?)

Choose the 2 you like.... 15,60,105,150 will work, but it won't feel natural to most player.
0,45,90 won't work. you won't have 2 frame per faces
0,30,60,90 will work and is probably the easiest to acheive.

wait what? that's 360/30 = 12

Khao

The cool thing about 360 is that it can be perfectly divided by so many different numbers. Including 3. Which is awesome for triangles.

The thing that sucks about 100 is that it can be perfectly divided pretty much only by 2s and 5s. Throw anything else to it and it starts crying and gives up and goes home. Which really sucks for triangles and also for a 💩💩💩💩-ton of other things. 100 just wouldn't work well for angles. 360 is godlike and can do anything. This is still true even for 180 which is also fantastic.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Just wondering, if a cube rotates 360 degrees on its' center axis, and you take a snapshot every frame, how many snapshots do you have by the time it makes a full rotation ?
360 / angular velocity in degrees, obviously. (E.g. 120 snapshots if it rotates 3 degrees per frame). But you can get away with 90 / angular velocity in degrees if it has the same texture on all sides thanks to its rotational symmetry.