• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How is gamemaker studio 2 compared to Unity, Defold. Worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jesper

Hi,

Just wonder how Gamemaker studio 2 is compared to unity, defold and other engines.
I have used Unity, Unreal and Defold, but i feel like its takes so long time to develop games, i need to finnish something to get the motivation up :) so i saw some youtube videos about Gamemaker studio 2, it looks kinda cool to me. Is it working good, is it worth the price. There is a lot of free engines out there.

Thanks
Falcula

Last edited by a moderator:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Well, since Game Maker 2 launched sometime in the early 2000s, I'd say it probably doesn't stand up at all.
GameMaker: Studio 2 however, would probably fare quite well against Defold and Unity on the 2D ends.
It is a 2D engine, so it's not going to compete well with 3D without a lot of work on your part.

rIKmAN

Hi,

Just wonder how Gamemaker studio 2 is compared to unity, defold and other engines.
I have used Unity, Unreal and Defold, but i feel like its takes so long time to develop games, i need to finnish something to get the motivation up :) so i saw some youtube videos about Gamemaker studio 2, it looks kinda cool to me. Is it working good, is it worth the price. There is a lot of free engines out there.

Thanks
Falcula
Are you a programmer, or someone who would be using DnD and prefers a visual interface / IDE like Unity etc?
How did you get on with Unity, Defold etc - did you find them too hard to learn, not suitable etc?

Only you can decide if GMS2 is worth the price.
How much will you use it? Will you earn anything back from things you create (or try to)?

Even if it's just a hobby - work out how many hours use you will put into it and divide the cost of the licence(s) by those hours to get an hourly rate.
You pay £10-£15 to go see a 1.5hr film, spend minimum £20 for an 3-4hrs at the pub, spend £7-£8 of a pack of cigarettes, £2-£3 on a coffee etc etc

It's all relative and nobody can really tell you if it's worth it for you personally, as only you know - you will get out what you put in.

Eisenhans

I can't comment on mobile, since I don't have that module, but when it comes to desktop 2D, GMS2 holds up quite well. (I never used Defold, but I'm familiar with Unity and Godot).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's all relative and nobody can really tell you if it's worth it for you personally, as only you know - you will get out what you put in.
Exactly. This. Also this from the forum rules:

• Post topics that could promote any product that directly or indirectly competes with any product by YoYo Games Ltd.
So topic is closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.