• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion How I installed win 7 on virtual box for gamemaker

J

jb skaggs

Okay this was more complicated and had fewer guides than I thought.

to install Gamemaker 1.4 (and maybe 2.0) I first had updated my ubuntu to 17.10.

Downloaded and installed latest ver of Oracle VirtualBOX
installed it in Ubuntu.

Ran virtualbox

Created a new VM (Virtual machine)

used the default settings for new machine- I called mine win7

I clicked run.

It asked me to point to a cd image. SO I clicked over to my directory (in mycase downloads) which held my ISO of win 7. I selected and clicked next.

It booted up and installed windows.

Next I downloaed gms 2.0 and gms 1.4

they installed. 2.0 took like 1.5 hours to install and gms 1.4 took 5 minutes.

I discovered I did not give my vm enough mem- so I shutdown windows. went to machine settings and moved my video memory to 128 (the highest it could go in slider before turning red). Went to processors and set it to 4 (again highest on slider and still in green), and did the same for memory setting it to 4gb.

rebooted windows 7 VMand this time I got gamermaker 1.4 to run but not compile games: error: Cannot create direct3d 9.0 model.

ran dxdiag from windows start cmd, and found no 3d avaible on my system.

so I shut down windows, went back to settings on my win7 vm on vrtuabox and clicked enable 2d acceleration and 3d acceleration.

then I went and installed virtualbox guest additions

ctrl alt T to bring up ubuntu terminal
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms

this install the guest additions package to virtualbox

what actually happens here is Virtualbox downloads a cd image (iso) of guest additions which your virtual win 7 machine then mounts. UIt's configuration and installation occurs inside of the win7 virtual machine.

ran virtualbox again. and started my win 7 vm in safemode.

direct3d will not install if not in safe mode.

at the top of the running virtualbox panel there is a area called devices. I clicked this and inserted virtualbox guest additions into my win7 vm. I logged in to wndows7 ran the guest additions installer and then rebooted after installing components i selected enable direct3d support.

Now 1.4 works. Unfortunately I have not discovered why 2.0 will not work. It runs goes to login screen, will not accept key input then closes.

But hopefully this might save you some time.

G

Garry Joshi

Really useful man! Thank you so much for the guide. I will give it a try as well :)