Android How good is Spine animation perfomance in GameMaker?

A

Apollo14

Hi guys!

I’m new to GameMaker (I used to work only with some lua-based engines before). I’m thinking about diving into GMS, how fast it is practically on mobile platforms?
Can you please help me to compare perfomance?

Would you be so kind to compile a similar simple 1280x720 apk in GMS, and check how many Spine objects can be rendered with 60fps? And how many traditional frame-based animations can be rendered?

Here’s my benchmark objects: spine json, traditional spritesheet and compiled apk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6petw1bmknlacfk/spine_vs_spritesheet_perfomance.zip?dl=0
(lua source code: https://github.com/Apollo144/spine_vs_spritesheet_animations/blob/master/main.lua )

Currently I’m limited to ~60-70 animated Spine objects on screen. If I add more, FPS starts dropping to less than 60 (on my Xiaomi 4X hardware).
Frame-based animations perform better (I can have ~350-400 frame-based objects on screen with 60fps)

Can’t wait for your results!
Many thanks!

George.

C

CreatorAtNight

I think you are lucky that I was interested in checking out the spin animation in Game Maker and also want to see how exporting to Android works.

I created the test in Game Maker but I never used Android exporter and it takes a bit longer to setup than expected. It's 4 am here so I'll finish that tomorrow.

If I run the test on windows it start dropping below 60 fps after about 500 roosters on screen.

A

Apollo14

I think you are lucky that I was interested in checking out the spin animation in Game Maker and also want to see how exporting to Android works.

I created the test in Game Maker but I never used Android exporter and it takes a bit longer to setup than expected. It's 4 am here so I'll finish that tomorrow.

If I run the test on windows it start dropping below 60 fps after about 500 roosters on screen.
That's great! It's interesting to know the result!

A

Apollo14

Hey man!
You promised to help with testing.
Did you get some results? Will you keep your promise?
Thx!

C

CreatorAtNight

Hey man!
You promised to help with testing.
Did you get some results? Will you keep your promise?
Thx!
First of all I didn't make a promise.
And it just takes a lot of time to do this so be happy that I even try to do it for you ok?
I'll do it when I got time, if it takes too long for you, just do it yourself or pay me. :p

A

Apollo14

First of all I didn't make a promise.
And it just takes a lot of time to do this so be happy that I even try to do it for you ok?
I'll do it when I got time, if it takes too long for you, just do it yourself or pay me. :p
Ok man, sorry, no offense.

What I want is to check perfomance, if it suits my needs.
I've tested spine animation in Corona SDK before that, it was unexpectedly horrible.

I've got to know how good or bad it is in GMS, before spending $400 on a license with mobile export.
(If I understood correctly, I can't integrate Spine objects and export apk with a Trial license)

Leif

Xiaomi Redmi 4X, Android 7.1.2, RAM 3 Gb

20 Spine roosters : 41 -> 60 fps
30 Spine roosters : 36 -> 60 fps
50 Spine roosters : 33 -> 47 fps
100 Spine roosters : 1 -> 22->47 fps

compared to:
500 sprite roosters: 40 fps

A

Apollo14

Xiaomi Redmi 4X, Android 7.1.2, RAM 3 Gb

20 Spine roosters : 41 -> 60 fps
30 Spine roosters : 36 -> 60 fps
50 Spine roosters : 33 -> 47 fps
100 Spine roosters : 1 -> 22->47 fps

compared to:
500 sprite roosters: 40 fps
What do you mean by '41 -> 60 fps'?
You mean fps is inconsistent and there're drops from time to time?

Can you pls share your apk, so I'll also check it on my Xiaomi 4X Note? (on Xiaomi Note there's 1080p resolution, most likely results will differ)
And what is your apk size?

Thanks a lot!

p. s. I really gotta ask all that, cause you know, the product is pricey, and I'm focused on mobile, so perfomance is a big issue that can't be ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leif

What do you mean by '41 -> 60 fps'?
You mean fps is inconsistent and there're drops from time to time?
This means that starts from 41, and after a second is 60 fps

For the moment i tried your apk, because i can't make android build right now
So , a couple of dsys, maybe on holidays, i'll check on my other devices

C

CreatorAtNight

Ok man, sorry, no offense.

What I want is to check perfomance, if it suits my needs.
I've tested spine animation in Corona SDK before that, it was unexpectedly horrible.

I've got to know how good or bad it is in GMS, before spending $400 on a license with mobile export.
(If I understood correctly, I can't integrate Spine objects and export apk with a Trial license)
Yeah, sure, I totally understand why you ask this. But don't expect too much from people if you ask them to do stuff for free :) It will just make you frustrated.
I've got a lot on my mind, I'm still willing to check it out because I'm interested in trying this myself too but I have to set my priorities.
I'm still planning to test this, probably tomorrow. :D

C

CreatorAtNight

Ok, I've tried to set everything up to compile an APK file in GMS 1.4 but for some reason I can't get it to work. Some posts I found talk about GMS 1.4 not being able to actually compile a finalized APK file, others say it does work for them. But I've spent all night figuring it out and it doesn't work. I'm sorry but I guess you'll need to find someone with GMS2 to test it for you.

A

Apollo14

Ok, I've tried to set everything up to compile an APK file in GMS 1.4 but for some reason I can't get it to work. Some posts I found talk about GMS 1.4 not being able to actually compile a finalized APK file, others say it does work for them. But I've spent all night figuring it out and it doesn't work. I'm sorry but I guess you'll need to find someone with GMS2 to test it for you.
Thanks a lot anyways! (I really mean it)

Guys who have GMS2 license, if you're reading this, can you pls build an apk?

C

CreatorAtNight

Hm, there might still be a chance I can help. I read some contradictory posts about compiling APK's on GMS 1.4 and it seems my Android module just isn't activated somehow. I've contacted YoYoGames about it. I'll keep you posted!