How exactly are people using/learning FMOD?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13992
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13992

Hi all,

I've just been adding audio to my project last few days, and have decided I need reverb/filters badly enough to ditch the code I have so far and start over with FMOD. It's been recommended here and elsewhere so many times that even I've been bringing it up, despite not having used it yet.

So this morning I installed the extension, pasted the basic usage code, and (having made sure the file existed) it works fine! The problem is documentation covering definitions of the functions/hooks doesn't seem to exist anywhere. Even the comments on the extension page hint that there's just no documentation. I google "FMODGMS_Snd_PlaySound" which is the playing function in the example, and there are only three google results for this (arguably the most important) function of FMOD. Two of which are the example, and the other one is the uncommented source code. So I'm kind of scratching my head, I'm not really sure how people learn how to use this. I don't know if I need to learn FMOD Studio or Core first, to learn which hooks do what and how to use them in the context of GMS?

The downloadable starter project has a bit extra, but it's not all that much more than the basic example with a coat of paint.

I'd be pretty thankful if someone can chime in on where to find information on the available hooks/functions. I'm not expecting a full manual, but I'd think a short basic rundown of each of the functions must exist somewhere, if this extension has been recommended by so many.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13992

All right, that's my bad. I had already checked the mstop4 github wiki, but all I saw were instructions for the linux installation. I don't browse github wikis that often, so didn't see "functions" on the right there. It also didn't help that when you google any of the functions on that page, this page doesn't come up in the results.

Thank you! This will help!

D

Deleted member 13992

So, what I'm understanding from the function list, is to be able to use FMOD for GMS, you kind of already have to know how to use FMOD just generally.

For instance, the function list has loads of channel-related functions and briefly how to use the functions. But it doesn't say what channels are, or when I should or shouldn't use them. I don't know what a stream or module file is either. Or how to know whether or not a specific sound is already playing (audio_is_playing equivalent). I think if I start learning FMOD studio I'll find out what a channel in the context of FMOD for gamemaker is. But it's not a very efficient way of learning. Like learning to drive a car to just be able to know how to use seatbelts and the car stereo.

This basically emphasizes how badly GMS2 needs better/more in-built audio functions.

Hi, I'm somewhat familiar with the FMOD API. The MSTOP extension is for the core API only so you might want to look at the FMOD Core API Guide for the topics you want to look into, and then the specific function documentation in the API reference section to cover the most distance.

If you're interested in the studio API I'm currently developing an extension for GMS2.3 I'm planning on releasing in the marketplace soon. It's a lot simpler since you forfeit some lower level control, but it's such a nice workflow once you learn the Studio authoring app.

erzyl

Hi, sorry to bump this post. Are you still working on the extension? I believe this could come in very handy to our current project.

Ednei

Hi, I'm somewhat familiar with the FMOD API. The MSTOP extension is for the core API only so you might want to look at the FMOD Core API Guide for the topics you want to look into, and then the specific function documentation in the API reference section to cover the most distance.

If you're interested in the studio API I'm currently developing an extension for GMS2.3 I'm planning on releasing in the marketplace soon. It's a lot simpler since you forfeit some lower level control, but it's such a nice workflow once you learn the Studio authoring app.
I'm interested in this extension, especially if it can be exported to Android.

Hi, sorry to bump this post. Are you still working on the extension? I believe this could come in very handy to our current project.
Hi, I've finished Windows and Mac versions about 6 months ago, and did extensive tests, but haven't touched the codebase since then because things got busy. Can you send me an email at: aaron at aaronishibashi dot com ?

I'm interested in this extension, especially if it can be exported to Android.
Hi, I got your message and sent a response. Sadly, it would take me time I probably don't have right now to implement an Android version, but I also gave a workaround that I hope serves your goals.

Ednei

Hi, I've finished Windows and Mac versions about 6 months ago, and did extensive tests, but haven't touched the codebase since then because things got busy. Can you send me an email at: aaron at aaronishibashi dot com ?

Hi, I got your message and sent a response. Sadly, it would take me time I probably don't have right now to implement an Android version, but I also gave a workaround that I hope serves your goals.
Thank you very much for the quick reply.