• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE How does the gamemaker engine handle loading rooms?

U

UberMun

If I have a very large project with a lot of rooms, will that effect the RAM usage? How many rooms does gamemaker load at one time? Does it load all of them at the start of the game or does it load them in sets?

This would be really great info to know, currently I'm debating wether or not to migrate my current game's rooms out into external "included files" to be loaded at runtime when needed.

Would this be beneficial or is gamemaker capable of handling these things on its own? I may do it anyway, but I'd like to know how the engine handles things.

Thanks in advance.

sylvain_l

I would have said it only load the active room;
but your question raised a doubt, because I'm not sure how the persistent objects&co are handled if there are in all the rooms.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It'll load them one at a time, and then only store finished room data if the room has been flagged as persistent when it is exited, otherwise room data is discarded and recreated next time it's entered.