• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE How does palette work ?

E

eFDay

Hi , i 'm currrently evaluating the GMS 2 free version and having a hard time understanding how the palettes are handled.

I have done a sprite sheet in Pro Motion with a 8 bit 256 color palette .I imported it in GMS2 but i can 't find a way to see the palette as i set it up in Pro motion.

The image editor displays a color picker with default colors , but no sign of my 8bit 256 colors palette.

I did noticed the "import colors from sprite" option but it does nothing , the colors in the picker are staying the same.

Beyond that is it possible to set a unique 8bit 256 colors palette for the whole project ?

csanyk

GMS doesn't support indexed color palettes, it's just 32-bit color. You may find some shaders that users have written that can do palette swaps in-pipeline, though.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
GMS doesn't support palettes like that at all. I've used Pro Motion though. Once you decide on your palette using Pro Motion, you can save that palette, and load it for each new sprite file you make. Then save those sprites and load them into Gamemaker.

E

eFDay

Thanks for the answer guys , i 'll fully edit my sprites in Pro Motion then .