• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How does one create a font ?

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Hi people,

I'm wondering how one goes about creating a font, with customized characters, is it created using sprite art or what ? I'd like to be able to use my own font for my games.

Carnivius

Sprite fonts are easily added to GM by setting them out like a sprite sheet and using draw_set_font to assign them and then displayed as text with draw_text. :)

G

GVmG

Carnivius is right.

And if you want to actually make a pixel/bitmap font, and download it as a font file to use it with other programs, you can use BitFontMaker2.

There's also a website to make normal fonts in a similar "grid-like style", there's FontStruct.

Both of those are completely free.

If you feel like trying something more advanced, controlling the font way mroe in-depth than the other two, you can try FontArk. Unfortunately it's only free for a limited amount of time, and I've never tried it so I don't know how good it is, but the concept seems alright.

EDIT: note that all of those create actual font files that you have to install (I think FontArk does that too, I never used it so idk, but that seems to be the case).

Last edited by a moderator: