• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows How does ending of Alpha phase work?

D

Dewarriorz

I'm close to ending alpha phase on my first game and I was wonder can I do beta? If I do can I release a simple patch to fix bugs or do I have to release a whole new version of the game after the fix?

Uhh, it's up to you, they're just labels. Alpha is for when 💩💩💩💩 is truly broken but you want to have people trying it out (maybe if you're unsure of the direction to go in, etc), beta is for more stable stuff but still not stable enough for a full release, just proper stress testing. Oh and you'd have to actually build a patching system yourself if you want to patch, it's not a native feature of GMS.

D

Dewarriorz

I have two bugs I know of, when I fix them if it's released to beta and someone finds another bug can I send a patch with the fix or do I have to rerelease the whole gmx?

If you want patching you have to build it in yourself. If you dunno how to do that, then yeah, you'll have to recompile the game and redistribute it.

YanBG

You shouldn't send the gmx but create an application.

For patching you'll have to add included files with the data of your game. So that these files can be edited later and not the exe, or also the exe but not the graphics, sounds etc. If everything is bundled, you have to resend it all.

Rob

You can always do beta. You could probably work on your game for years and then still be able to improve it.

The question is: when is enough enough? Is the game good enough now or do you need to make it beta!?

/trolling