How do YOU use layouts in GMS2?

G

In the GMS2 IDE, you can save your workspace layout (click "Layouts" on the menu bar, between Marketplace and Help). I feel like I should be using them for something, or at least have an idea of why they might be useful. Anyone include them as part of their workflow?

G

Guest User

the custom layout feature was essential back when there was no way to collapse half the windows, but it's still necessary to rearrange everything to maximize screen space on my notebook since GMS2 was not designed for small screens.

i don't see how or why i would have more than one layout...but that's probably because i only have one project, which is fairly straightforward. :confused: i guess if you had more than one games whose development needs required different layouts it'd be useful, but i don't have enough experience to really guess on how.

G

Yeah, I was curious about how people use multiple layouts. Currently, I pick one feature to work on, fill the IDE with many many code windows and sub-windows as I work on the relevant events and scripts, and other events and scripts I need to refer to, and then eventually close them all up when I finish the feature or all the different events and scripts are so scrambled together that I just need to retrench. I thought maybe multiple layouts might have some secret solution this, but damned if I know what.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Layouts would be more useful if the editor was similar to other IDEs, with bunches of different windows to do different things. Take a 3d modeller for example, which typically has a 3d view(or multiple), at least a window for editing properties of stuff, different windows for animations, such as curve editors and timelines, windows for shaders or materials...Unity is like this as well, with a realtime rendered view separate from the editor view, animator, and other similar stuff.

GMS2 doesn't have all that complexity(not that it is a bad thing). It isn't designed to have things open constantly based on the current task, rather you generally just open the window you need when you need it, or go to it in the workspace if its already open.

I think once they implement more stuff, especially once they include coding on the IDE itself(planned feature), the layouts tool will be more useful. I'm sure someone(maybe myself) would make a particle editor for example, but that window would only be needed when you need it. But you may want to edit sprites and rooms at the same time...you could have a layout for general work, and a layout that moves the workspace and particle system editor windows to good places and sizes so you can easily switch back and forth. That is actually the good point about layouts, you can maximize space on what you need for specific tasks while still making the smaller needed windows available.

G

Guitarmike

I wish there was a "clean up workspace" feature that would take all of the windows and resources spread across the workspace and stack them neatly together. I find big gaps between windows occur over time as I work on different parts of my game and open/close resources.

Come to think of it, I wish I had a "clean up workspace" feature IRL, too.

MC

L

lemonhead

I am hoping that saving my layout will also save window positions within the debug tab. I will be finding out in about 5 seconds..... Success!

SnoutUp

If I can avoid it, I don't use GM2 IDE at all. My workflow was faster with GM1.4 and now I pretty much spend all my time in GMEdit.

I'm surprised no one brought this up, but the layout feature is a blast when you got multiple monitors, need to work on 2 rooms at once or open all those epic debug windows at once? Sure it seems useless when you got only one screen, but when you have 2-4 its a time saver. :)

L

lemonhead

I'm surprised no one brought this up, but the layout feature is a blast when you got multiple monitors, need to work on 2 rooms at once or open all those epic debug windows at once? Sure it seems useless when you got only one screen, but when you have 2-4 its a time saver. :)

True and same goes for those with Ultrawide monitors. Myself I use a 2560 x 1080 and with the layout configs being customizable (especially the debugger) it has really sped up my workflow.