How do you make video game videos?

I was thinking about making video game guide videos on video games. I have a cellphone’s camer I can used, but I don’t think I using it to record a video game guide video I can make will make a good video. What should I do?

Rob

I was thinking about making video game guide videos on video games. I have a cellphone’s camer I can used, but I don’t think I using it to record a video game guide video I can make will make a good video. What should I do?
OBS is decent for recording videos (and it's free). You're best off using a laptop or PC, downloading OBS and recording videos. You can use audacity to make your audio better too. Making quality videos can be very time consuming but it's worth putting the effort in, if you're going to do it at all.

I use Lightworks to edit videos after I've recorded the footage and worked on the sound.

Last edited:

pixeltroid

OBS is decent for recording videos (and it's free). You're best of using a laptop or PC, downloading OBS and recording videos. You can use audacity to make your audio better too. Making quality videos can be very time consuming but it's worth putting the effort in, if you're going to do it at all.

I use Lightworks to edit videos after I've recorded the footage and worked on the sound.
OBS, Audacity and Lightworks are my favourite tools too!

Highly recommended softwares for anyone!

Reactions: Rob
OBS is decent for recording videos (and it's free). You're best off using a laptop or PC, downloading OBS and recording videos. You can use audacity to make your audio better too. Making quality videos can be very time consuming but it's worth putting the effort in, if you're going to do it at all.

Hmm... is OBS, good for recording videos I trying to make by playing console or handheld games? How does it worked?

Rob

Hmm... is OBS, good for recording videos I trying to make by playing console or handheld games? How does it worked?
I've never recorded console or handheld but there's probably a way around it - just have to do some research on it

O.Stogden

To record console gameplay, you'd need a capture card like an Elgato HD. That allows you to connect a console to a PC, then you'd set the video source in OBS to the capture card.

To record console gameplay, you'd need a capture card like an Elgato HD. That allows you to connect a console to a PC, then you'd set the video source in OBS to the capture card.
Okay, thanks. Does this same method works for handheld gaming as well?

You didn’t answered my question. Does the same thing goes for handheld gaming, too?

O.Stogden

You didn’t answered my question. Does the same thing goes for handheld gaming, too?
That's because I posted before you ever asked that question.

Likewise you would need to buy and fit a 3DS capture card (or whatever handheld it was). Although this generally can get expensive, and I believe fitting it isn't a simple job.

For older handhelds and consoles (PS2/GameCube/PSP/DS and earlier) emulation would be the way to go in order to capture high quality footage. Provided you own the original console and game. Would save you a lot of money on capture devices.

Likewise you would need to buy and fit a 3DS capture card (or whatever handheld it was). Although this generally can get expensive, and I believe fitting it isn't a simple job.
Just to clarify about it being expensive, 3rd-party 3DS capture cards cost around $300. That's not including the 3DS, which you provide. On top of that, the only place doing 3rd-party 3DS capture cards recently went out of business, so expect that $300 figure to skyrocket. From what I've heard, they're not very sturdy either and are prone to breaking. Higher-quality Nintendo-provided 1st-party capture devices cost quite a bit more than that, but you have to go through some kind of certification by Nintendo to even be able to buy one.

That's because I posted before you ever asked that question.

For older handhelds and consoles (PS2/GameCube/PSP/DS and earlier) emulation would be the way to go in order to capture high quality footage. Provided you own the original console and game. Would save you a lot of money on capture devices.
Darn. So, basically I need to use emulation games in order for me to make good footage videos. Well, I have a Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, and a Nintendo GameCube. It’d be cool to see a capture card for game systems like that including for NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, etc.

O.Stogden

You can get something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-U...+capture+card&qid=1552245574&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This would allow you to connect something with RCA cables (composite video/audio) to your PC. Which is what the SNES, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2 etc. all used.

You'd need a splitter cable in order to output to both your PC for recording and your TV for playing.

Advantage emulation has is that you don't need a capture device, and you can upscale the graphics/resolution so it might be more pleasant viewing. But playing on the actual consoles might be more enjoyable.

You can get something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-U...+capture+card&qid=1552245574&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This would allow you to connect something with RCA cables (composite video/audio) to your PC. Which is what the SNES, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2 etc. all used.

You'd need a splitter cable in order to output to both your PC for recording and your TV for playing.

Advantage emulation has is that you don't need a capture device, and you can upscale the graphics/resolution so it might be more pleasant viewing. But playing on the actual consoles might be more enjoyable.
Thanks, does the same thing works for Nintendo DS/3DS games?

O.Stogden

Upscaling the graphics and resolution works. But the product I linked only works if your console can be plugged into a TV using the red/white/yellow plugs.