Discussion How do you feel about the success of Undertale?

A

Alessio

Some reviewers are indeed elitist jerks (Jim Sterling anyone?) but i believe Undertale was so successfull because it had many internet culture jokes.
Now add an entertaining plot, random humor and somewhat interesting gameplay and you get it. It was also a good luck but a combination of these made a game that was fun for anyone to play.

It may even be a kind of 10/10 game (for me it's not, i'd give it something like 8/10 but don't really care about it because what counts is that it's fun to play to me) but the ones that compare Undertale with any AAA game like it happens here.
It's just absurdly misleading since Undertale was overall an amateur game. It shouldn't be compared with AAA games but with indies of the same kind. If someone saw that Undertale ranked more than Metal Gear Solid V or near, well, one has to ask themselves "ok, what's going on here?"
The same with footraces that my parents love so much, you can't compare the time of a 20 years old people with the one of 50 years old ones. Some tards do, though (and footraces become an hassle for my mom since promoters are a bunch of mysoginists, but that's another story).

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If someone saw that Undertale ranked more than Metal Gear Solid V or near, well, one has to ask themselves "ok, what's going on here?"
IMO you should ask yourself "OK, what's going on here?" about the MGS series even when you're not comparing it to indie games... :p Even disregarding their random zombie gaiden game, the $40 demo of the game and the macro transactions in 5 are blatantly exploitative of the playerbase, we have the debacle about Hideo Kojima abandoning the company because work conditions are so bad... and that's not even going into how confusing the story is, and the random character swap in that game with Raiden in it that upset more or less all the fans of Snake.

A

Alessio

IMO you should ask yourself "OK, what's going on here?" about the MGS series even when you're not comparing it to indie games... :p Even disregarding their random zombie gaiden game, the $40 demo of the game and the macro transactions in 5 are blatantly exploitative of the playerbase, we have the debacle about Hideo Kojima abandoning the company because work conditions are so bad... and that's not even going into how confusing the story is, and the random character swap in that game with Raiden in it that upset more or less all the fans of Snake.
In response to that...

Well, to the price aspect, they dropped the prices significantly where i live. And "macro"transactions are the worst thing that happened in the videogame industry. That's why i stick with Nintendo games: they don't spam them everywhere.

But, honestly, if i had to chose between AC Unity and Undertale, i chose the second with closed eyes.
AC Unity... eeew...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yal

Alvare

Best indie games I played imo? gamemaker games like Soldexus, Daniel Remar's Iji and Playdead's Inside created in Unity. I also liked Red Barrel's Outlast a lot.
As for Undertale. I couldn't care less about it's success. I didn't like to play it. Not only was it visually unpleasant to look at (intro cutscene was alright.), it gave me eye strain and it also took way to long to build up, storywise and mechanically.
There was no clear indication of what my goal was and where I needed to go. I know we're supposed to look beyond that. But as far as I've gone through it there wasn't mush else but walking, talking and dodging projectiles. Which seemed like average-normal gameplay. I do hope the successor to Undertale will be a little more visually aesthetic, atmospheric and have better sound design and I might like it more than the original.