• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How do you choose the right texture?

M

Misty

It's like my consciousness gets bombarded, weighed down by too many options, its depressing and gives me a brain drain...

Its like I have too many options to choose from and I dont know the exact right ones which will satisfy players.
Same with map design and choosing the geometry.\

Say Im choosing a grass. Theres like dozens to pick from and I dont know the exact one I want.

R

rui.rosario

Well, you can either try for yourself different combinations and see which ones you think get along better or;

Gather a group of people, give them many different level layouts, with different texture combinations and then make rate each combination and then analyze the results to see the ones that were most successful.

M

Misty

I would, however I don't have the time to at the moment and their tastes are slightly questionable.

R

rui.rosario

If you don't have the possibility to hand out the product to a user base to correctly access their tastes you can always try to get someone to do it for you, try to choose yourself the best you can or just choose and go on with it.

If you end up choosing, try to look for good quality assets.

J

Jaqueta

There are a few factors that I take into considerations before using a texture.
1 - If fits the current ambient where it's being used
2 - If it fits the quality of the other textures
3 - (for Seamless only) if it can be tiled without being repetitive
4 - If it fits the game palette. This is very important imo, having a palette for your game/level can be decisive for a Game Art Style.

S

Snail Man

I'd pay special attention to 2; it really looks awful when you have some high res textures, some low res, some realistic, some cartoonish. On top of everything else, make them consistent

Reactions: Yal