• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows How do i work on a game together with my friend in GMS 2?

So, I REALLY wanna work on a game together with my friend but idk how to work on the same game, and I wanna know if there's a way we can code, edit sprites, etc, etc. is there a way?

chamaeleon

A common source control repository both can push and pull. Github tends to be mentioned in this context for obvious reasons.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Also strong recommendation: use command line git instead of GM's built-in workflow. It's easier to use (once you practice with it a bit), and if you get problems, it's easier to google the solution.

[Quick start guide]
To send your changes to the repo:
git add -A OR git add onlythehandfuloffilesyouwanttoaddbecausetheotherchangesaren'tdoneyet
git commit -m "This is what I did"
git push origin master

To get your friend's changes:
(close GM)
git fetch
git pull

(reopen GM)

I'm not sure if you need to close GM or if it'll automatically detect changes to the project on the disk, so this step might be optional.

If you're more than two-three people it's probably a lot more painless if you use a branch/rebase/merge strategy instead of pulling changes into the same branch locally whenever anyone else pushes changes, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.