• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

How do I use GMS2 without accepting new user agreement?

MrCook

Title. I don't want to update my installation, why do I need to accept a new agreement to use it? Perpetual License.

chamaeleon

I would imagine this is relevant from the EULA, in particular the section I bolded.
10. CHANGES TO THIS USER AGREEMENT
  • We may change this User Agreement if we consider it necessary (for example to reflect changes in the YYG Property or legal developments). If so, we will make the revised version available online and make reasonable efforts to inform you of changes. It will become legally binding on you once we post it online. If you do not agree to the new version, you must stop using the YYG Property completely - in order to make the YYG Property work properly we need to have everyone using this under the same rules instead of different people having different rules.
So, why? Because YYG wants you to, really. It's not about technical reasons, it's business and legal reasons.

MrCook

The text you quoted is from the new one. Do you have one from the 1st release? Bought it on May 1st 2017. Whatever applies to me can't be beyond that date.

chamaeleon

Not sure why I bother, but here's wayback machine for October 28, 2016. If you want to find another one, knock yourself out or consult a lawyer.
  • 8. CHANGES TO THIS USER AGREEMENT
    • We may change this User Agreement if we consider it necessary (for example to reflect changes in the YYG Platforms or legal developments). If so, we will make the revised version available online and we will contact you to inform you of the changes, which you will be deemed to accept by your continued use of the YYG Platforms. If you do not agree to the new version, you must stop using the YYG Platforms

chamaeleon

In the installation directory, there is probably a License.txt file as well, which presumably corresponds to your currently agreed upon license.

Nobody

In the installation directory, there is probably a License.txt file as well, which presumably corresponds to your currently agreed upon license.
From my understanding it doesn’t matter what he previously agreed to. It‘s this in the quote you provided.

If you do not agree to the new version, you must stop using the YYG Platforms.

In other words, if you don’t agree to the new version of the agreement, they want you to stop using GMS altogether.

Which is fine. As the agreements state they they can change the agreement whenever they wish.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
From what I know, Or at least what my laptop has done, You can accept the new EULA but not update GMS
EULA is more tied to your account, like your license and such...and legally gms, but you dont need the EULA for gms to work, it will install it, but you can select different runtimes/versions to run
My laptop is still a few versions behind my main pc and still works and makes games fine

As far as i know and can stand behind plausible deniability, this doesnt break the EULA, I even accepted it so, and technically speaking Not installing and using the beta ide is breaking the "ALWAYS UPDATE" rule and obviously thats not true

TL;DR Not a lawyer also:
I've not had problems Not updating GMS so far