Steam How do I update my GameMaker game on Steam?

A

Achron

Hey!
Im a freelance indie-programmer, currently working on a larger GameMaker project that im hoping to be able to publish on steam within the next couple of months. But im a self-taught not-very-experienced-with-all-the-fancy-parts programmer, and i simply have no idea of how many things work. Including updating my game. ^^'
I want my game to continue to evolve once published, but there is a very limited amount of information on the web on how to actually update your game on Steam. How does it work with a GameMaker game?

Since the application you have of your game is just one big .exe file, do you just delete the old one and replace it with a the new .exe file? Or will that just force people to reinstall the game when they recieve the update?

SnoutUp

Have you ever had a game on Steam which you had to reinstall after update? :) You'll export the game (as single executable) and upload the exported directory to Steam, activate it in the dashboard and players will get the new files with their update and launch the new version next time.

A

Achron

Haha, no i havent xP
So you basicaly just upload your new executable to Steam as a new build? Thats really simple! :D

A

Achron

Btw when I saw it was you who replied i was kinda hype because I have played almost all your games haha :D

SnoutUp

Haha, no i havent xP
So you basicaly just upload your new executable to Steam as a new build? Thats really simple! :D
Setting everything up will be a bit tricky at first, but there are good step-by-step tutorials like this one on how to do everything, but you really don't have to worry about how updates work. It will work :) You might accidentally upload an empty directory or point at the wrong file as executable, but that happens to everyone. :)

And nice to hear you played my games! ^_^

A

Achron

Oookay. :p And thanks for the link, i will definetly check it out! I think I will just experiment with it all once it gets on Steam and see what happens xD
Thank you so much for your help! its very very appreciated! :D