• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How do I show a video file in GameMaker?

• Thread starter Vanavah Edwards
  • Start date
V

Vanavah Edwards

Hello:
I have been checking the commands but I do not see any such commands. How do I show a video file in GameMaker? Is there an asset to buy to make this better and/or easier? I am developing for tables only such as the Android, nothing for windows so I need to know how to do it for the android.

Phil Strahl

From what I know, there's no way to play a video within GameMaker, but there might be extensions that have this feature, although probably for Windows only.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
GM8 and earlier had this functionality, but AFAIK it would use the system's default media player to play the video (which meant it wasn't guaranteed to work and definitely wouldn't work consistently).

Couldn't find an Android extension for GMS, but here's the documentation to the android official media codec... I guess it wouldn't be completely impossible to write a DLL that hooks into this codec and then write a few scripts that calls it? (aka make your own extension) https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/index.html