• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE How do i recover the rooms i deleted

D

discriminate

It seems that game maker studio 2 auto saves every time

i'm new to game maker studio and when i was making a new resources view for sprites i deleted the rooms tab. i didn't know it will permanently delete the rooms. i didn't save of course but it says on the output tab that it saved so i think i'm kind of screwed....

i tried to undo but there's no undo for the delete. i reloaded and the rooms are still deleted....

i learned now that i should have pressed "remove from current view" not "delete"

i've lost rooms i spent hours to make :(

is there a way to recover the deleted rooms?
is there also a way to stop game maker from auto saving every few minutes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Very sorry to hear that you have lost work - we are looking into "clarifying" the right-click menu when you're in a custom view and fixing a bug to stop this situation from happening in future. http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=26177

Unfortunately, if you were not using the source control functionality there is no way to recover the lost files (GMS2 doesn't do the 5 backups every time you save, like 1.4 does, in favour of the source control integration).

There is also no way to stop the automatic saving - the project has to save before every run anyway, and the IDE watches for project changes made outside the IDE and will save accordingly then, so us having a system when saves are performed each time you "confirm" a change should actually help to prevent losing work. Appreciate in the case of accidentally removing work it has caught you out.

F

F_Clowder

I am posting this here as I just went through nearly the exact same issue. Lost a room expecting I would be able to get it back by clicking load project.

So I'd like to ask about the auto-save. I appreciate it but could we please get a setting where it either keeps a shadow copy, or just have a setting where it acts similarly to 1.4. I.e. you can choose to save at your own leisure (In my case, I save "strategically", keeping a memory of when and what I have saved. Always knowing how little or how much I've lost because of my own fault helps then with when I re-load a project), and it has automatic backups.

Or, why not have the IDE work on the shadow copy rather than "our" copy, please?

BTW Am loving GM2, great job everyone involved!

There is also no way to stop the automatic saving - the project has to save before every run anyway, and the IDE watches for project changes made outside the IDE and will save accordingly then, so us having a system when saves are performed each time you "confirm" a change should actually help to prevent losing work. Appreciate in the case of accidentally removing work it has caught you out.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We're changing the process of how things are removed from views, so this shouldn't happen again.

As to saving "backup", this would be very slow an not something we're looking to do. Using source control is the simplest and most effective way of managing content.