How do i make a hubworld, and a level goal?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by GamingDragomachina, Jan 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GamingDragomachina

GamingDragomachina Member

I played around with Game Maker abit and am attempting to create a 2d platforming video game similar to mario.

I know how to create sprites, but i need help with coding it using drag and drop coding (the style im using since im a noob) to make a level goal that will give a summary of points earned and add to a overall total of points from previous levels.

Also, i want the player to be able to go to the levels through a hub world.

having a room with a portal of sorts to all the different levels.

So uuhhhh... How exactly do i do that? Any help is appreciated!

2. dialgpalkia

dialgpalkia Member

I'd say use global variables for the Overall Score; Use an Code Block with global totScore = 0;
    Then in the Collision with End Event add a code block that says totScore = totScore + currentScore where currentScore is the score you change during the game.
    As for moving to different rooms; use Collision Event with Go To Room block.

3. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

Break it up into two simple steps:
    • Have portal objects that lets you change rooms. Ideally you want to give them a "my_room" variable whose value is set in the room editor using Instance Creation Code, so you can make each portal go to a different room with just a single object.
    • Figure out a way to store game state and transfer it between rooms, like having a global array to store the status of each level (locked, unlocked, cleared), which is used by the portal to see if they will be interactible or not.