How do I make a game seem more interesting

L

Lorulean

I'm thinking about developing a game that is mainly inspired by things that people already find interesting, at first I was thinking of a top down Zelda-esque clone with inspiration from other games, but i'm unsure if people would find something like this interesting, is there a place where I can see ideas that interest people into checking out a game?

G

Why do you want a game inspired by things other people find interesting? It's unlikely from the get go that you'll make money in a game, and I think consciously making a clone based on market research will result in an uninspired game.

That's just my take though, I'm not trying to make a living making games. Honestly, grubbing for a market would be unrewarding for me, and I'd probably never finish the project. Even with a vibrant, strong vision, I'm hitting psychological sticking points with the end in sight.

The successful indie games that weren't a lottery ticket (angry birds, flappy bird) seem all to have flowed from a powerful, unique point of view and personality. I don't think market research would have supported making Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, Hyper Light Drifter, Stardew Valley, etc.

Niels

1 tip:
Pick something that's very popular (roguelike, match 3, card games, fps etc)
Then pick something else that's popular but kinda is the opposite of what you picked at first (for example: fantasy dungeon crawler + guns = enter the gungeon, cute Zelda 1 clone +disturbing images = Binding of Isaac) and you have a interesting concept.

Style and frills (everything surrounding the game). Oh and make sure to go with a genre that people want to play. If you don't have the style to make a less desirable genre more desirable your game will go no where fast. At that point you've wasted a lot of time (and or money), unless you chalk it up as an educational experience.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I strongly advocate doing a game you want to make. If you don't make a game you like, you can't tell whether it's good or not, so you'll end up including a lot of really bad stuff in the game by mistake.