• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE How do I import resource from extension?

B

booksmaster

Once imported an extension I cant import its resources any more. When I need some script from the extension I have to delete it and import again. Is there a solution for this? Very frustrating. YOYO crew do you guys plan restoring previous functionality of extensions from 1.4 and fixing what was neccessary like serching in GML ext code, making java ext see marcoses(like it was in 1.4), middle mouse click on ext. script name in code to open its code, script_execute for ext.script? When do you fix all these issues? These bugs make your instant game development no so instant :(

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
When I need some script from the extension I have to delete it and import again. Is there a solution for this?
Asset import/export overhaul is on the roadmap for Q2.

Meanwhile you can extract the files from an YYMP using 7-zip and import them individually

serching in GML ext code
available right now in GMEdit (separate checkbox on Ctrl+Shift+F)

making java ext see marcoses(like it was in 1.4
I'd suggest to file a bug report about that if you didn't a few months ago

middle mouse click on ext. script name in code to open its code
also available in GMEdit

script_execute for ext.script
this never worked consistently but is slowly getting fixed. According to this, should be more or less fixed in the current beta. Otherwise, script_execute works, but referencing scripts by ID doesn't - you have to get the right ID via asset_get_index.

B

booksmaster

Asset import/export overhaul is on the roadmap for Q2.

Meanwhile you can extract the files from an YYMP using 7-zip and import them individually

available right now in GMEdit (separate checkbox on Ctrl+Shift+F)

I'd suggest to file a bug report about that if you didn't a few months ago

also available in GMEdit

this never worked consistently but is slowly getting fixed. According to this, should be more or less fixed in the current beta. Otherwise, script_execute works, but referencing scripts by ID doesn't - you have to get the right ID via asset_get_index.
Dude thanks a lot for you reply but GMEdit is not GMS. If only it was possible to update the IDE of GMS so it would have all the features of GMEDit it would be a mirracle. Idk why yoyo stuff ignores their users needs. I understand that this all requires time but they could find time onstead of doing a lot of features no one requires.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Dude thanks a lot for you reply but GMEdit is not GMS.
It is not, but it is available right now, unlike the future features that probably aren't going to shift positions in roadmap from making forum topics about them
If only it was possible to update the IDE of GMS so it would have all the features of GMEDit it would be a mirracle.
That would indeed be a miracle because reverse-engineering an ever-changing IDE to add features to it would take months of work... and violate the EULA
I understand that this all requires time but they could find time onstead of doing a lot of features no one requires.
Pretty much any feature can be considered useful or useless, depending on who you ask - for example, in the other threads people are saying that resource tree sorting was essential to their workflow, and personally I'd never guess, as I never used it during 14 years that I've used GM for.

B

booksmaster

It is not, but it is available right now, unlike the future features that probably aren't going to shift positions in roadmap from making forum topics about them

That would indeed be a miracle because reverse-engineering an ever-changing IDE to add features to it would take months of work... and violate the EULA

Pretty much any feature can be considered useful or useless, depending on who you ask - for example, in the other threads people are saying that resource tree sorting was essential to their workflow, and personally I'd never guess, as I never used it during 14 years that I've used GM for.
Could you please explain a little bit more how do you use GMEdit in your everyday coding? For me it was pretty inconvinient although had lots of tasty features. Could you please describe your working progress.
For example:
1. Open project in GMS
2. Open project in GMEdit
3. Change some code in GMEdit
4. Switch to GMS and run
Is it like this or am I missing something. To me the described above way feels unnatural and bothering. Idk how to explain better. Hope you understand.

Concerning GMLive, I just checked it and I barely belive my eyes. You're good dude. You are good!

I

immortalx

Until YellowAfterLife answers: You don't even have to switch back to GMS to run/test your game. By running this script, you can hit F5 while in GMEdit and it will run just like it would if you had the GM window in focus.
I understand why it might seem to you inconvenient to use GMEdit, however the truth is that only a single additional step is needed, and that is launching GMEdit. For all the benefits you get, it's only a couple of seconds.
The only real drawback is when your project is at the stage where you add resources, write some pieces of code, go back to edit the resource, add some more, etc. In that case, yes, the switching between the two applications might make you feel they're "disconnected", however at a later stage when the code grows and you're actually focused on programming, that's where it shines. At least that's what I found out.

B

booksmaster

Until YellowAfterLife answers: You don't even have to switch back to GMS to run/test your game. By running this script, you can hit F5 while in GMEdit and it will run just like it would if you had the GM window in focus.
I understand why it might seem to you inconvenient to use GMEdit, however the truth is that only a single additional step is needed, and that is launching GMEdit. For all the benefits you get, it's only a couple of seconds.
The only real drawback is when your project is at the stage where you add resources, write some pieces of code, go back to edit the resource, add some more, etc. In that case, yes, the switching between the two applications might make you feel they're "disconnected", however at a later stage when the code grows and you're actually focused on programming, that's where it shines. At least that's what I found out.
Thanks pal. I'll wait for a Yellows answer for a while )) Maybe he as a creator ot the tool will give some more good usage advices )) But thanks for your information.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Could you please explain a little bit more how do you use GMEdit in your everyday coding? For me it was pretty inconvinient although had lots of tasty features. Could you please describe your working progress.
For example:
1. Open project in GMS
2. Open project in GMEdit
3. Change some code in GMEdit
4. Switch to GMS and run
Is it like this or am I missing something. To me the described above way feels unnatural and bothering. Idk how to explain better. Hope you understand.
Indeed - you can use the linked macro to run the game without switching back to GM. Then you would only need a tiny slice of GM window peeking from below GMEdit so that you can see error/debug messages. It's vaguely possible to show some sort of output log in GMEdit, but that project currently only works for Windows builds.

Just-released version of GMEdit also supports creating/organizing/destroying shaders and objects from GMEdit, so that makes for even less switching.