• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

How do I get the licence key?

I

Ibericus

Hello everyone!

I have Game Maker Studio on my computer (I dowloaded from Steam), but I have decided to dowload another one (because I want to use Game Maker without the need of Internet connection). I dowloaded and opened it, but there is one problem: I need to dowload to Standard edition in order to open one project (a Pong clone) that has many rooms. And to update to Standard Edition I need the License Key. The problem is: I don't have the licence and have no idea of how to acquire it. I tried to login into the Yo Yo Account, but it always fail. My email and password never work. They send me a link to my email to create another password, but the new one I create doesn't work either.

I don't understand why I need the licence key when my Steam Game Maker never needed any licence.

V

ViceVersa

ive had several problems with this in the past, and im pretty sure ive probably made like 7 different gamemaker accounts because of it. So heres the issue, (ive never used the steam version of gm so this may be innacurate) i believe the steam version of gamemaker is a different version of gamemaker standard edition. The main difference being that you can actually build test and post to the steam store with the steam version, which you cannot do with the ordinary desktop version. In order to get your license key to activate (what im assuming was) a free version of the tool, you need to login to the yoyogames website with your email and password to get it. At some point, whether you remember or not, you probably gave an email and a password to them. This account registration MAY HAVE gotten screwed up on their website (its happened to me and at least 3 other people I can think of) . In the past you could, just make a new account, which would come with a new license for the free standard edition, and just use that. However, due to the fact that their now focusing on pushing out gamemaker 2, I dont think theyre giving out new licenses anymore for version 1.4.. In any event, in your case, the only option is to just keep emailing yoyogames unitl you can get the account information resolved, and get the license key, or if you really cant quite get it to work, lemme know and i can pm u mine

I

Ibericus

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I rarely enter here and I even forgot to have created this thread. I have dowloaded a free Standard Version and I'm gonna create a new Yo Yo Account. I hope this time everything goes fine.:)

I

Ibericus

So, I dowloaded an Standard Version, but when I open it the same error of once happens again: one particular project is truncated, it doesn't open all of it's rooms. I try to upload to a new version (the version I dowloaded is 1.3), but it doesn't work. I honestly give up with dowloading a non-Steam Game Maker. I'll just stick to the one I have.

rIKmAN

So, I dowloaded an Standard Version, but when I open it the same error of once happens again: one particular project is truncated, it doesn't open all of it's rooms. I try to upload to a new version (the version I dowloaded is 1.3), but it doesn't work. I honestly give up with dowloading a non-Steam Game Maker. I'll just stick to the one I have.
Download any version you like from this page: https://www.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/release-notes-studio.html but you are still going to need your YYG login details and have a valid licence already attached to that account (or linked Steam account with a licence).

rIKmAN

Hello, rIKmAN, how to get my license key from my GM:S Steam account (v1.4)?
I'm not 100% sure as I don't use the Steam version.

However if you login to your YYG account you should be able to link your Steam account to your YYG account which will then give you a valid 1.4 licence attached to your YYG account.

Use this same account to login to GMS 1.4 (email + password) and you should be good to go.

E

Edwin

However if you login to your YYG account you should be able to link your Steam account to your YYG account which will then give you a valid 1.4 licence attached to your YYG account.

Use this same account to login to GMS 1.4 (email + password) and you should be good to go.
Thanks for fast answer. I went to YoYoGames site and login my account and then I pressed Account Linking option in account settings and logined in my Steam. It worked. =)

E

Edwin

WTF, I got Professional version, but I had Standart in Steam 0_0. That's amazing!