• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How do I fix my reading problem?

Usually, when I try to read while breathing through my nose. I can’t continue to breathe through my nose while reading much longer, so I read with my mouth open and hear what I reading by whispering what I am reading instead of reading in my head.
I repeat reading something over again, and go back to reading the beginning of the paragraph or sentences before I get the chance to finish what I was reading.
This makes it take a bit longer to finish what I was reading on time, before I go back to the previous paragraph or sentences and reread them again after finishing reading the previous paragraph, or sentences.
Also, sometimes I hear distracting music in my head while reading which makes me go back to read the previous paragraph or sentences, and stop me from reading the next paragraph or sentences. What should I do? How to not go back rereading the previous paragraph or sentences that you read? How to start reading the next paragraph and sentences after finishing reading the previous paragraph or sentences?

Last edited:

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I have difficulties reading too, but they are not linked to breathing. It has more to do with my autism and short attention span. Reading a full book takes way longer than other people. What helps me is doing it in complete silence and peace, in my bed at night before I go to sleep, with enough light. Maybe doing it like that can help with the distractions? I often reread paragraphs and sentences too, sometimes only the third time I fully capture the meaning of it all, don't know what to do about it.

pixeltroid

Usually, when I try to read while breathing through my nose. I can’t continue to breathe through my nose while reading much longer, so I read with my mouth open and hear what I reading by whispering what I am reading instead of reading in my head.
I repeat reading something over again, and go back to reading the beginning of the paragraph or sentences before I get the chance to finish what I was reading.
This makes it take a bit longer to finish what I was reading on time, before I go back to the previous paragraph or sentences and reread them again after finishing reading the previous paragraph, or sentences.
Also, sometimes I hear distracting music in my head while reading which makes me go back to read the previous paragraph or sentences, and stop me from reading the next paragraph or sentences. What should I do? How to not go back rereading the previous paragraph or sentences that you read? How to start reading the next paragraph and sentences after finishing reading the previous paragraph or sentences?
Why does your breathing or hearing music in your head cause you to go back to reading the beginning of the paragraph? 🤔

How
Why does your breathing or hearing music in your head cause you to go back to reading the beginning of the paragraph? 🤔
Well, it’s just that when I breathe while reading. I can feel my chest so I don’t say what I reading for a while. And, when I read while hearing music playing in my head. I get distracted and can’t say what I reading in my head.

flyinian

When I read, I sometimes can't recall what I just read so, I reread what I missed. For me, this is due to distractions and so my attention isn't on what I'm reading so there's no comprehension being done. With the invention of cell phones and social media and what have you our attention spans have suffered and therefore our attention spans becomes much smaller. However, everyone is different and it could be developmental and/or a lack of a reading skill.

The way you describe your question sounds a lot like myself. What I did was summarize each sentence/paragraph back to myself and if it sounded correct, I'll continue to the next sentence/chapter. At the end of the paragraph I'll summarize the entire paragraph and if it sounds correct for that paragraph I'll continue. If you doubt your summarization, reread it.

Its probably better if you seek a professional to help you out. Instead of random game devs.

P.S. Sometimes, I'll have millions of thoughts go through my mind and that becomes a massive distraction for me and it could be similar for you but, with music. If so, it might not be something that you have full control over and practicing attention might help you. Again, seeking a professional may be your best bet for help.

.... Just realized this is a fairly old post. \(*_*)/

Last edited:
Well, if it's anything like my issue with breathing, I'd suggest to try ditching the whispering for a comfortable but somewhat unique breathing rhythm to help automate it so you can focus on it less. I manually breathe while I run, which is rather annoying, and not even in a simple in/out way.

Coded Games

I've for many years struggled with reading comprehension, I also am a rather slow reader so that always made reading more difficult. I have similar problems where I often accidentally skip lines, requiring me to re-read things.

The main solution I found to this: ebooks and using text to speech software. I'm way better at understanding and comprehending papers/books when I'm listening to them. It's slower than if I were not read it myself (but not by much) and avoids the mistakes I make.

Audiobooks are even better but those don't exist for most things.