• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE How do I create single runtime executables in GMS2?

P

pblpbl

I've been able to create single runtime exes in GMS1, but I am not sure where to do that in GMS2. Can anyone tell me how to do it or did they remove the feature for some reason?

JeffJ

Even with the full license, pblpbl is clearly still missing the option he or she is requesting; single runtime exe. The article you link to clearly states there are only two out of the three options that was present in GMS1 - the one missing is single runtime executable.

C

Coltimar

I really like the single runtime file for testing and such :/ Is it possible to open GMS2 project files in GMS1 and create the exe then? I know you can open 1.x files in GMS2, but I haven't tried it the other way.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
I really like the single runtime file for testing and such :/ Is it possible to open GMS2 project files in GMS1 and create the exe then? I know you can open 1.x files in GMS2, but I haven't tried it the other way.
You can still use UPX to pack a ZIP build into a single executable manually (or set up a batch script to automate that). Just be wary of fact that UPX executable do not work on some systems and have a few other caveats (which is why the option was removed in first place).

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You can still use UPX to pack a ZIP build into a single executable manually (or set up a batch script to automate that). Just be wary of fact that UPX executable do not work on some systems and have a few other caveats (which is why the option was removed in first place).
Background reminder: The single-executable export in GMS 1.x used the Win32 cabinet self-extractor, not UPX. GM6 is the one that used UPX (on both the main IDE and exported products), and that's the reason it didn't work on Vista and above.

P

psyke

I don't recommend using UPX, because the majority of Anti Viruses detects an UPX application as virus, and even if it's a false positive, this is bad if you're trying to sell your game on Steam for example, because people will complain a lot about it.
One alternative is to compile your game using the YYC compiler, so it will not generate an "data.win" file. If you have external files or streamed audio, then that solution will not work for you.

No you can't. GMS2 has the import process for backwards compatibility, but there is no way that you can load a GMS2 project into GMS1 and expect it to work.

A

alexandervrs

Actually I think this can be done with the bundled NSIS and it'd work better than IExpress, just set the script to include all the game files and set the destination directory to a temp folder, use no installer UI pages nor any registry entries and just run the .exe in the end. It should be fine and all bundled in a single .exe